Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

LR Question Mark in Library

Apr 17, 2012 9:37 AM

Tags: #mark #external #hard #drive #question

All pix are now on my external HD. The question mark showed up on my pix in LR.

I did right click to show in finder and it directed me to my external HD which was connected.

However, it didn't find it by itself. I had to directed to straight to the folder and it still didn't see it.

Can you take me through the steps please.

Many thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to pennipeter

Have you moved your images to the external drive using Explorer/Finder?

Can you please post a screenshot of your folder panel?

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to pennipeter

If you want Lightroom to keep track of your images then you have to use Lightroom to move them.  Even though Explorer/Finder is called by Lightroom, you are using the operating system to move the files.  In the library module, the folder that contained those images should also display "?" Which indicates that Lightroom no longer knows where those images are located.  Right click on that folder and you will be presented with options that will enable you to point Lightroom to the appropriate folder on your HD.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to pennipeter

Whenever you have to make changes or move the pictures make sure you use the lightroom for this.

However when you pulled the files from Desktop to Hard Disk the catalog is trying to find the files at the default locations.

The ?  mark is the sign of this. Hence please follow the links below which will be helpful.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/3.0/Using/WS3BC0B0A1-D48C-4271-8 91D-DA04EF388E29.html

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/1.0/help.html?content=WS3BC0 B0A1-D48C-4271-891D-DA04EF388E29.html

Thanks

Mandhir

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to pennipeter

Please follow the steps given above....

At this time the LR is picking up the thumbnail previews from the cache however the original files are missing which is shown by question mark.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points