Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Create a book file

Apr 17, 2012 11:29 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to Community Help

Okay, so what after we add the documents? In my InDesign I add the documents, save and nothing happens. No book. The title for the book, but nothing in it even though I just added 223 pages in itemized chapters. So, what did I do wrong?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to GonzoOne

A Book is merely a collection of document files that you can synchronize. What. exactly, were you expecting?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

To build the book into one file. I finally converted each chapter to pdf, then built the book. Is it me, or was Pagemaker really a lot easier for books? And do you know how to simply build an index in InDesign? In PageMaker I just tap control and Y key and that opens the dialogue box. I type in the index item or if I've blocked the word to reference it's already there. I can also assign it as a sub index item at that time. All I can find for instructions for Indesign index are 19 pages of confusion. At least confusing for me. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to GonzoOne

My recollection is that Pagemaker Books behave the same way, so I guess that means it's you.

Indices are outside my normal wrokflow, so I'll let someone else handle that, but you'll get more help if you ask specific questions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 5:21 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yes. My memory was off, I printed pagemaker files to pdf, then collated them. That's how I have ultimtely done it (today) with InDesign. Now to figure out how to make an index in Indesign. That is not easier or as easy as PageMaker.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 11:28 PM   in reply to GonzoOne

GonzoOne wrote:

Yes. My memory was off, I printed pagemaker files to pdf, then collated them. That's how I have ultimtely done it (today) with InDesign.

Not necessary in InDesign. You can export one PDF from a book of several ID chapters in one go.

GonzoOne wrote:

Now to figure out how to make an index in Indesign. That is not easier or as easy as PageMaker.

It's fairly similar. Most of the steps are the same.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points