Skip navigation
Mathias17 451 posts
Feb 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Native size of raster images?

Apr 17, 2012 12:01 PM

I often use raster images in Illustrator but don't have a good way to easily keep track of how far away from their native size they've become after resizing and positioning them. What do you recommend? (my raster effects settings are always 300DPI)

Basically, I want to make sure I haven't scaled a raster up so much that it's less than 300DPI anymore - I want an image to have at least 300px per inch in my layouts. I can calculate the dims it shouldn't exceed by divding it's pixel dims, X and Y, by 300 but is there a more convenient way? If only the Transform Panel kept a size percentage . . .

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 12:16 PM   in reply to Mathias17

To find what scale image is

Select Image >> Link Palette Flyout menu >> Link Inofrmation

or

CMD Click on link preview  in links palette

To restore to original size:

Select Image >> Link Palette Flyout menu >> Placement Options >> Preserve File Dimension

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to Mathias17

Mathias,

I believe you can always see the resolution in the Control panel.

At least you can see it in the Document Info palette/panel, with the image selected, and with Selected Only and Object ticked (not Document).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to Mathias17

Mathias,

The Document Info palette/panel is set to Document (shown at the top). It should be set to Object instead, and to Selected Only. In the old days there was a right arrow leading to a flyout to set it, but there must be a way.

If/when you get it to work, the resolution in PPI should be shown, along with the pixel by pixel size. In the OP you said you wanted to make sure to keep the former at no less than 300 PPI.

You can see the resolution in post #2 in this thread (in Spanish), with crucial translations in post #3.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4302136#4302136

What about the Control panel, nothing there?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 7:47 PM   in reply to Mathias17

The reality of it is that it is not reccommended that you resize a raster image in AI and the document raster effects settings have nothing to do with placed images linked or embedded.

To resize your image resize them in an image editt5ing program like Photoshop.

Why you ask?

I'm glad you asked.

You see Illustrator cannot resample your image, that means if you place an image linked or embedded in Illustrator and then scale it only the dimensions change not the file size.

That means if you enlarge it it will be less ppi and if you scale it down it will be more ppi.

In other words=if it starts out as 300ppi at say 4x5 inches and you scale it to say 8x10 inches it will now be 150ppi if on the other hand you scale it down to say 2x2.5 inches then it will be 600 ppi for print niether of those resolutions would be desirable however for the web it might work fine but then you are working in a cmyk document which would indicate you want to send this to press.

So resizing in Photoshop might allow you to go to a master document that would allow you to resave a copy of the files as 8x10 inches or 2x2.5 inches both at 300 ppi which would be good for many four color process jobs. then those resampled files could be placed in Illustrator.

That wpould be the right way to do this so the answer to your questionis there is no real way for a reason it is not the right approach in the first place.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 8:02 PM   in reply to Mathias17

Mathias17 wrote:

cntrlpnl.PNG

I'm missing where any information in the attached screenshot is relative to the image's native size.

On the attached image I can see the resolution of the apple image reported on your control panel as 30.662 inches per inch. To get 300 ppi you have to scale the apple down to 1.197 by 1.267 inches

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 8:13 PM   in reply to emil emil

Which means the Op bought a low res image and perhaps wishes to scale it and resample what they really have to do is go back to iStock and purchase a larger file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 8:30 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Apparently Mathias is using a free thumbnail preview image from the IStockphoto web site

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points