Skip navigation
Dlewis78
Currently Being Moderated

Why does my ruler guides keep disappearing when I place them on the canvas?

Apr 17, 2012 1:26 PM

Tags: #cs4 #fireworks #guides

I am working with Adobe Fireworks CS4 and the weirdest thing keeps happening.  When I bring a guide onto the canvas and release my mouse, it disappears.  It's become a luck of the draw now.  Sometimes they stay, sometimes they won't.  I have no idea what is going on.  When I drag them from the top of the ruler, they normally stay, but sometimes they disappear there too after I release my mouse.  Any suggestions would be very welcomed right now.  Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to Dlewis78

That sounds odd. Have you tried checking the View menu, under Guides, to verify that Show Guides has been selected? It shouldn't be necessary, because dragging out a new guide from the ruler will typically turn on this option anyway, but it's the most obvious suggestion.

The next time a guide disappears, you might try the Shift-Command-Z shortcut to trigger "Repeat Add Guide", and see if that brings it back. (This command is also available under the Edit menu.)

Do you have the Guides panel installed? It's not directly relevant, but it's a really neat tool for working with guides, and I'd be curious whether you experienced the same issues when using the panel to create guides.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/guides_panel.html

The only way I can get a guide to spontaneously disappear is if I drop it outside the canvas area...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 4:34 PM   in reply to Dlewis78

Make sure you drag and drop from the ruler directly above or to the left of the canvas. If you drag it into a place where there is no canvas, it dissappears.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to groove25

No, of course not - I meant FW CS6. Thanks .

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to groove25

Thannks. Let me ask - will this guides panel work with FW CS6? it appears to have been developed for CS3.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points