Skip navigation
v_for_vicious
Currently Being Moderated

premiere wont use only small RAM size???

Apr 17, 2012 2:21 PM

i have a very good computer
16gb ram

cpu i7 2nd generation

2tb hdd

ati 6970 graphic card

win7 sp1 64bit

premiere cs5.5

yet the premiere would take only 3gb of ram (when i render or export movies, and using premiere or encoder the same results)..........is there any settings ive missed or what is the case??
also i have another pc(same as above but with i3 cpu and sata2 ssd hdd) and it still take up only 3gb

grateful for any help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 5:12 PM   in reply to v_for_vicious

Reset the useage under Preferences, allocate to either Performance or Memory, have you upgraded to CS5.5.2 I only have 12Gb ram and have no problems with HDV or H.264 mov @ 1920 x 1080p  PAL. I have allocated 8GB Ram to performance and use the Mercury Engine with Nvidia Quadro FX3800 in Raid set up., in a Quad Core i7 it is very fast.

Good luck

ps. Check your performance with i7 built in Monitor, Windows Task Master, it will give you CPU usage and Physical memory usage, if it is not using the memory allocated check with your computer company ?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to v_for_vicious

PP will use as much as it needs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 5:26 PM   in reply to v_for_vicious

I would run the PrPro Benchmark test, to see if you have any bottlenecks in the system.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 8:30 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

As Jim says, there is no reason to think that Premiere Pro should be using all of your memory all of the time. For many operations, the limiting factor is not memory, and no more than a few gigabytes are needed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points