Skip navigation
ripleyrm2
Currently Being Moderated

Hierarchical keywords via exif data

Apr 17, 2012 2:25 PM

I am trying to import plant photos into Lightroom4 with their Family, Genus and Species along with Location keywords, by placing the data in the image using exiftool. But failing. One hierarchy seems to work, but not more. I can replicate what Lightroom creates, but it does not seem to read OK.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 9:19 PM   in reply to ripleyrm2

Can you provide the exact Exiftool command line that's not working?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to ripleyrm2

I think you're encountered two issues that aren't very well documented:

- You need to set the Subject field, not HierarchicalSubject, with the keywords of the form "Big|Small" and leave HierarchicalSubject blank.  LR will properly interpret on import the "|" character in the Subject field.  (LR will only interpret "Big|Small" in HierarchicalSubject if Subject also contains "Big, Small".)

- You need to provide the -sep option to Exiftool when reading a CSV file:

exiftool -csv=test.csv -sep=", " test.jpg

Note that there is a space after the comma.  The Exiftool command-line documentation says that is the default for the -sep option, but it doen't appear to be the case.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to John R. Ellis

John R. Ellis wrote:

The Exiftool command-line documentation says that is the default for the -sep option, but it doen't appear to be the case.

The documentation states that ", " is the default for reading.  The default for writing is to not split the value, but I admit this isn't perfectly clear.

- Phil

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points