Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

jpeg 2000 - news and advice

Apr 18, 2012 1:13 PM

I need to know if there  is a plug in for jpeg2 -- for ps-4, on Mac, and if any one has found this to be a good/better format for  small cameras?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to 123news

There are plugins available on the web if you are interested.  But looking at info below you might want to consider that since it is not widely used you may have trouble sharing picutres with others in this format.

This from wikapedia

While there is a modest increase in compression performance of JPEG 2000 compared to JPEG, the main advantage offered by JPEG 2000 is the significant flexibility of the codestream. The codestream obtained after compression of an image with JPEG 2000 is scalable in nature, meaning that it can be decoded in a number of ways; for instance, by truncating the codestream at any point, one may obtain a representation of the image at a lower resolution, or signal-to-noise ratio – see scalable compression. By ordering the codestream in various ways, applications can achieve significant performance increases. However, as a consequence of this flexibility, JPEG 2000 requires encoders/decoders that are complex and computationally demanding. Another difference, in comparison with JPEG, is in terms of visual artifacts: JPEG 2000 produces ringing artifacts, manifested as blur and rings near edges in the image, while JPEG produces ringing artifacts and 'blocking' artifacts, due to its 8×8 blocks.

JPEG 2000 has been published as an ISO standard, ISO/IEC 15444. As of 2012[update], JPEG 2000 is not widely supported in web browsers, and hence is not generally used on the Internet.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,880 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to Curt Y

OT:  but I love Wikipedia.  It has such good explanations regarding things like image formats.  I used these Sample Images in a Camera Club talk some years ago, and I think they are as good a practicle example of how JPG compression works as I have ever seen.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 8:36 PM   in reply to 123news

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to 123news

Jpeg is the the same as jpeg2000.  Jpeg (or jpg) is universially used and is on all cameras and defacto standard on the web.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:04 PM   in reply to Curt Y

No, JPEG2000 is a completely different file format and compression scheme from JPEG.

Most cameras shoot JPEG.

Few to no camera produce JPEG2000 files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 7:08 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Opps! I left out the NOT in my sentence.  Should have read Jpeg is NOT the same -----

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to Curt Y

"Opps"?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers