Skip navigation
swdrew12
Currently Being Moderated

Downloaded commercially licensed font won't embed?

Apr 18, 2012 4:47 PM

Tags: #illustrator #fonts #font #acrobat #embedding

I downloaded fonts which are commercially licensed for use in whatever or however. To my horror, the font wont embed once I have moved my design from Illustrator into Acrobat. I want to embed the font in a field so when I send it to someone they can type in what they want and it will look just as I designed it to.

Why would a commercially licensed font be restricted from being embedded in Acrobat? Is there a way to fix this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 5:02 PM   in reply to swdrew12

There are all kinds of possibilities here - but you've asked in the InDesign forum, and I bet you'd be better served by the Illustrator forum, or one of the Acrobat forums.

For what it's worth, I think that Illy complains when trying to embed a protected font when saving as PDF. This is probably a case of the font failing to embed correctly due to font naming conventions or something, not due to a no-embed flag in the font. When you re-post, you may want to go into some detail on exactly how you "moved" your design from Illy to Acrobat - via a save-as, perhaps? Or some other method?

Also, I think that even when you've embedded the font, you have to go and manually tweak the properties of the field in Acrobat to use your embedded font.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 9:02 PM   in reply to swdrew12

The issue is very simple.

All Adobe software – including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat – respects the embedding privilege flags inside of fonts.

If the font you legally licensed and downloaded has a EULA (end user license agreement) that permits embedding of fonts in PDF files and such embedding flags inside the font prohibit embedding, then your issue is with the font foundry that licensed the font to you, not with Adobe's software. Contact the font foundry for a fixed version of the font.

Note however, that just because you have licensed a font, it doesn't mean that the license includes the ability to embed the font in PDF files, EPS files, PostScript files, etc. And even if it does permit such embedding, the license may also require you to pay a royalty for each PDF file you distribute with such fonts embedded! You really must read those End User License Agreements very carefully.

For the record, all fonts licensed by Adobe permit embedding in PDF, EPS, and PostScript for at least Preview and Print purposes (i.e., viewing and printing the PDF file) with no subsequent royalty payments required for distribution of such PDF, EPS, or PostScript files with the embedded fonts.

Buyer Beware!

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points