Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I create a low res proxy for an HD composition?

Apr 19, 2012 7:36 AM

Hi Forum,

I'm working on a 1920x1080 animation project and want to create low resolution proxies of the HD comps to speed up previews. I want my working compostions to be 1024x576 pixels but the final output will be in 1920x1080.   All I can seem to do is create low res proxies for individual footage elements or a proxy for the whole compostion as a flattened still.  Is there a way to create low res proxies for whole compostions that still have layers and can be keyframed?

Thanks,

Timothy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to rupertdabear247

Your workflow is a little wonky. You want to work at full resolution. Speed up the ram preview by setting comp resolution to 25%.

Low Rez proxies only save time if you are dealing with high-resolution stills. If you want a lo-res proxy of video footage render it and that usually wipes out any time saving you would gain with a proxy.

If you type proxy in the search box at the top right corner of After Effects it will take you to some instructions on how to set up and use proxies.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to rupertdabear247

Follow Rick's instructions - work at full resolution and your new proxies will let you run scrub through your footage with relative ease.  RAM Preview is also your friend here, if at a certain point in your work you would like to see your effects.  Space bar, do not choose the Play arrow in the Preview pane.  Even better is to choose SAVE RAM Preview from the pull down menu from the top menu bar under Composition.

To creat a proxy; Right-click your FOOTAGE in the Project window, choose Create Proxy, choose MOVIE, then in the Render Queue click the Output module and choose your Format Options.  I have good luck with using Photo-JPEG at about 93-94 quality.  Make sure Post-Render Action is set to Set Proxy!

Jesse

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to rupertdabear247

See this page for resources about making After Effects work faster, including tips for using low-resolution previews, etc.:

http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points