Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Round corners not symmetrical

Apr 19, 2012 9:33 AM

I have noticed a problem with the round corner feature and would like to verify that others get the same result.

1. Draw a rectangle 2" x 2" and give it a red fill.

2. Apply .25" round corner radius to all four corners.

3. Copy and paste in place and recolor the copy green.

4. Now flip the copy on the vertical axis.

Zooming in it is apparent that the corners don't line up correctly.

The same problem occurs with different size rectangles and different radius values. A flip on the horizontal axis also reproduces the issue. Export to PDF and the error is still apparent in the PDF.

I decided to do the same reflect test in Illustrator, but the corners there are symmetrical. Also worth noting – if you place an AI file with a rounded corner rectangle, and draw a round corner rectangle on top of it in InDesign using the same specs, the shapes don't quite match.

If others see this issue then at least they are aware of the problem. Maybe I'll fill out a bug report.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to Printer_Rick

Very minute observation, but indeed I found it to be the same way.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Printer_Rick

The topic is already discussed but with the different perspective -

check this link:- http://forums.adobe.com/message/4306492#4306492

the reason is the corner effect doesn't form the perfect semi -circle at the end.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to Printer_Rick

Not sure the reason coulsd be the center of radius changes for the opposite corner , hence not form the semi-circle but for 180 rotation the center of radius is same.....its a guess not sure honestly

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 3:09 AM   in reply to Printer_Rick

I'm just finding the time to play with this, and that is, indeed an interesting observation.

It has nothing to do with Live Corner Effects, per se -- I see the same thing in CS3 where you can "round the square" and also when running the cornereffects script in CS5 as a comparison. One of the things I tried was making a square and running the corner effects script in CS5 to make the corner radii meet properly without the flatspot, duplicating that, then converting the duplicate to an ellipse. When selecting the individual path points on the ellipse with the direct select tool you get two control handles, each half the length of the spcified radius, and on the round-corner rectangle you get only one, radius length, control handle, and I think that's the source of the asymmetry. You don't get to see the handles on the rectangles to which you've added corner effects using the corner effects options, however. ID still considers them as "Rectangles" in the layers panel, while a shape created by running the script becomes a "Path."

I guess this make some logical sense. Until you start playing these kinds of tricks the curve you create with the single handle is acceptably circular, and it allows for simpler constructions. In the round corner rectangle the corners are created with a single node still on the perimeter of the rectangle. To use symmetrical handles you'd have to have two nodes at the corner, one at each tangent point.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 2:00 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

To get perfect rounded corners use a script like "EckenEffekte_504d.js" by Hans Haesler at:

http://www.fachhefte.ch/downloads.php?groupIDX=14&orderby=&sort=&searc h_query=&itemIDX=&begin=&limit=&read_group=18&page=0

There are another two scripts that enhance the feature set of that script:
    "EckenEffektePlus_504d.js"
    "EckenEffekteMix_504d.js"

Caution: all in German, just test them, if they fit your needs…

Uwe

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points