Skip navigation
LyceumPublishingPJ
Currently Being Moderated

Converted PDFs in InDesign are too BIG!

Apr 19, 2012 9:25 AM

Tags: #pdf #indesign #print #magazine

I am a recently employed designer for a magazine and have been at the company for 4 months. At the end of creating an issue, I convert it to a PDF using the settings sent by the printers. Typically the end file size is around 300mb (before I joined, the previous designer had a typical file size of 1gb), but this issue was just over 1gb! I have done nothing different to how I have converted the mag before. At the end of converting the mag to PDF, I extract the PDFs as single files. I compared the file size for the 'editors page' (which doesn't really change, same content, different text), last month the file was 1.4mb, this months was 9.8mb! I have no idea why the overall PDF (and individual PDFs) is so much bigger than the previous month(s).... PLEASE HELP!

Regards

Paul

Replies
  • lilia@
    196 posts
    Jan 31, 2012
    Apr 19, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to LyceumPublishingPJ

Sounds like an Acrobat question... perhaps the last designer tweaked the settings last year... have u made a pdf of that document to see if the settings you have create the same file size? If it doesn't then clearly something is different.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to LyceumPublishingPJ

Are you sure that you aren't using a different PDF preset than before?

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 19, 2012 10:51 PM   in reply to LyceumPublishingPJ

The usual answer relates to PDF metadata, but you can try Audit Space Usage in Acrobat as a tool to try to help narrow it down.

Does the size really matter?

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 20, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to LyceumPublishingPJ

How would I audit space in Acrobat and what would it do?

Assuming you're using Acrobat X Pro, it is hidden in the FIle > Save As > Optimized PDF... dialog box, in the upper-right corner, "Audit space usage...".

It will tell you what objects in the PDF are using the space, by type of object. This should especially be useful if you have two PDFs to compare, as it sounds like you do.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points