• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Including EXIF data on photos as an overlay on export ?

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  Can someone please help?  I need to know how to imbed the EXIF data on a JPG export to show the data natively on top of the photo when the JPG is opened (top left for example).  It's nice to share photos with people that dont have Lightroom/post processing software, that can learn from the settings I used to get the shot.  It will be nice if they can open the JPG on their end and see the apeture, focal length etc on the photo?  Can someone point me in the right direction?  I did read something about creating a slideshow, but I'm not there yet nor do I want to do that.  I just wanted to know if it's possible to do this with a basic export.  Just like the Develop Module shows EXIF data on top of the photo when you press "I".  I just want that same EXIF data to always be on the photo when I open the JPG in other viewing programs.  Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to use LR's native options, you could print to JPEG, using the Photo Info. But AFAIK, this will always put the text below the image, not inside. You can use the text template editor to customize what's shown. Example:

MetaData.png

As an alternative, there's the LR/Mogrify 2 plug-in, which allows you to put text overlays with metadata pretty much anywhere on the exported images.

Beat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow thank you.  This has been so frustrating to try and work out!  I will try the native LR options first.  Doesnt really matter if it's below.  You mentioned a text template editor.  Where would I change these settings in LR to display this text natively?  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Print Module, and choose (or create) a layout that suits you. Select to print to JPEG file:

capture_0012_20120419_234205.png

Then check "Photo Info" in the Page section in the right panel and choose a font size:

capture_0008_20120419_233800.png

Choose "Edit" from the dropdown under Photo Info:

capture_0009_20120419_233823.png

The Text Template Editor will be shown, where you can compose what you'd like to see as Photo Info:

capture_0010_20120419_233845.png

Select "Save Current Settings as New Preset ..." from the "Preset:" dropdown and give the preset a name.

capture_0011_20120419_233855.png

The Print to JPEG will then use the tokens you entered in the Text Template.

Click "Print to File" to generate the JPEG.

Beat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow thanks so much man.  This is really helpful.  I did try the settings you mentioned, but for some reason, its trying to print to a specific page size (not the native photo size).  So the pic either needs to be stretched or shrunk.  Also, the position of the EXIF data isnt great.  Its ok, but doesnt look very appealing.  It would be awesome to have the same font/layout of Lightroom's default EXIF data overlay, printed right on the photos.  I will now look into the plugin.  I'm new to Lightroom, so I need to learn more about plugins.  Only thing that worries me is that the plugins may change the way the JPEGs are created (encoding size, IQ etc).  I'd rather stick to Adobes methods because being a noob, I may not realize I'm messing up my photos.  Anyway, will read more about it.  TY again!  PS.  Any good websites that rank the top plugins that have been battletested? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MummelMacks wrote:

... Only thing that worries me is that the plugins may change the way the JPEGs are created (encoding size, IQ etc).  I'd rather stick to Adobes methods because being a noob, I may not realize I'm messing up my photos. 

Don't worry about that when using LR/Mogrify 2. It's a very widely used plug-in.

Any good websites that rank the top plugins that have been battletested? 

I'm not aware of such a site, except The Lightroom Exchange. Ask here if anybody uses it if you're not sure and trust the regulars.

Beat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines