Skip navigation
kfs1
Currently Being Moderated

Wavy lines in AVI when imported to After Effects

Apr 19, 2012 1:46 PM

The file I am trying to use a video file that was created in Premiere by capturing video from a DV tape and rendered in Adobe Encoder as a compressed AVI. The AVI looks just fine until it is imported into After Effects.

pic2.JPG

This is a good example of what the lines look like most notable are the lines near the net, the top of the net and the far side line. This is actually a shot from Premiere, when this image is displayed (smaller size) here it is doing the same thing I see in After Effects.  I am assuming there is a problem in the settings when I create the AVI and how the After Effects project is configured. The problem is I know next to nothing about After Effects and only slightly more about Premiere. If some one could give me some direction (as detailed as possible the better) as to what might be causing this and how I can correct it, that would be fantasctic

The picture below is a screen shot from After Effect

pic1.JPG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to kfs1

Why are you capturing your video in Premiere and then rendering it to use in AE? Why not just import the Premiere project into AE? (Or use Dynamic Link?)

Also, if you must render, why are you using a compressed codec to do it? That's just bad juju. What compression codec are you using?

Anyway this link may be able to explain some of your problems from Premiere's perspective and this link from the After Effects perspective.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to kfs1

Widescreen DV, right?  Is the field order correct in the interpret footage settings, which should be lower field first?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 12:00 AM   in reply to kfs1

File --> Footage Interpretation --> Main. Turnn off fields, if you want it to display sharper. Everything else is perfectly normal. Compressed footage is always gonna expose artifacts and color space conversion and different display modes between programs will make them stand out more or less.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 4:10 PM   in reply to Mylenium

I agree with the others that you're mishandling fields somewhere along the way.

This video from the “After Effects CS5: Learn by Video” series provides an introduction to fields and interlacing, and shows how to avoid common problems.

Here's more information about fields and interlacing.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points