Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Isolating part of photo/texture question

Apr 20, 2012 2:01 AM

Hello

I have a photo (attached) and wish to do two things with it. I hope a) to emphasise both the earthenware texture of the vase and its wooden background to give the image some contrast and b), to recolour the brown fence in royal blue. I have tried to do this using the eyedropper tool and then Image | Adjustments | Replace colour, but because the vase itself is coloured in a shade of brown I find that in addition to blue replacing brown as the fence colour, it also replaces it as the colour of the vase.

So, I somehow need to 'lift' the vase from the image, then recolour the fence in isolation, and then put the vase back into the photo - but I am not sure how to do that.

Thanks for any ideas.

Steve

Vase.gif

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 2:22 AM   in reply to SteveH59

Sounds like you're new at Photoshop.  Read up on Masks.  It should be a trivial task to mask the vase and apply the adjustment just to the background.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,925 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 4:30 AM   in reply to SteveH59

As advised, the first think you need to do is sperate the vase from the fence.  You could just mask it, but much better to select the vase, and copy it to a new layer.  The Pen tool would be the best method with smooth shapes like that, but Quick select followed by Refine edge will work OK.

Then place a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer between the fence and copied vase layers, and move the Hue slider to get the colour you want.  Fine tune with the saturation and Lightness sliders.  I did the same for the Vase because red and blue, make you spew.  If you do the same think you need to clip the second Hue/Saturation layer to the vase layer byr Alt clicking the join between the two layers.

To bring out the texture use a couple of Curves layers, clipping one to the vase and other to the background.  Click on the scrubby slider icon, and click on a mid-tone of the fence or vase, (depending on which you are working on.  That places a point on the curve.  Drag this point up a wee bit, and place another point a little lower, and drag it down a wee bit.  I actually used the Topaz Detail filter.

vase.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points