Skip navigation
julia.rich
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot rename some topics

Apr 20, 2012 8:44 AM

I have a very large RH9 HTML project imported from Word. I need to rename some topics, but it cannot be done. On the Project pod, some of the topics produce context menus including the Rename function but others produce much shorter menus that do not include Rename (or Copy or several other items). The topics with the shorter context menu also have the topic filename and title grayed out on the Properties dialog; those whose context menus include Rename allow changes on the Properites dialog. There is nothing different from one topic to the next. So I can rename some topics but not others. Can someone help me? This is very frustrating.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to julia.rich

Welcome to our community

Are any of these topics created by virtue of linking to Word?

In case you are unclear, before you decide to work with Word content, you make a decision. Do I want to simply import the content where what was once only edited in Word is sucked inside RoboHelp and I now forget it ever existed as a Word document. From here forward, if changes need to be made, I make them using RoboHelp.

Or do I want or need to contiue editing the Word document and simply update the RoboHelp Topics that were created from the document from time to time as the Word document is edited and changes.

So how exactly are you working with this?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to julia.rich

Okay, I'll bite.

Describe enormous. Click Tools > Reports > Project Status and tell us how many topics the Total Topics area presents.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to julia.rich

Where's this project located? Any Source Control involved? Got enough rights?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to julia.rich

C: as in c:\projects\project_name\ ? Shorter is better ;>)

Also, what o/s? Do you have local admin rights to your own c:\ drive? (It's not automatic with Win7 or Vista like it was in XP)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to julia.rich

I don't think it came across again - you're probably referring to the default "My RoboHelp Projects" folder - it's usually really deep in the path length & you can end up with some really long paths to your topics. That's why the projects folder off the root is "best practices."

I don't remember if you mentioned if you can mess around with a new topic you create in the project or not. You might also try playing with one of the sample projects to see if you're experiencing the same effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 1:45 AM   in reply to julia.rich

Hi,

Check the rhworddocs.apj in notepad. Perhaps there’s some garbage left over from your original tries. This is a desperate guess, as this is all I can think of. You can try the following:

1.       Backup your project.

2.       Create a blank project and paste the rhworddocs.apj from the new project in your project.

3.       Delete project CPD.

4.       Open project.

Now all references to linked word documents should be completely removed.

Greet,

Willam

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points