Skip navigation
salsalam
Currently Being Moderated

How well does converting a PDF Bank Statement to Excel work?

Apr 20, 2012 3:25 PM

It's time to do taxes, and I'd love to save myself some time.  I noticed the PDF to Excel conversion for 20/year.  I'm tempted, but it's hard for me to believe that it really works well, especially for a bank statement.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to salsalam

If your financial institution offers online banking there is a good chance you can download an Excel version of your bank statement(s).  You may have to do each month one at a time but there will be no loss in conversion as it is already in Excel format.  There may be other formats too such as Comma-Delimited and perhaps Quicken or some other financial software compatibility version.

|
    Mark as:
  • David Kastendick
    3,219 posts
    Apr 7, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 4:13 PM   in reply to salsalam

Good day,

As markerline suggested, your financial institution may already offer an Excel-ready version of your statements.

But to your questions, the results I've seen have been mixed.  The quality of the output of the ExportPDF service is directly related to the quality of the input.  Many bank statements don't contain a lot of actual formatting information within the PDF file itself.  As we state in our FAQ:

Adobe ExportPDF is capable of exporting high quality information, but the quality of your Word or Excel document depends on the quality of the PDF file you start with. For instance, if your PDF file was originally authored in Microsoft Word or Excel and converted to PDF using the PDFMaker functionality of Adobe Acrobat®, your PDF file contains a rich set of information that can be captured by Adobe ExportPDF. This includes relative positioning of tables, images, and even multi-column text, as well as page, paragraph, and font attributes.

If your PDF file was originally authored using simpler PDF generation methods, such as “print to PDF” or “scan to PDF” options, Adobe ExportPDF will convert any recognizable text and then use sophisticated conversion intelligence to preserve as much of the page layout as possible.

I've bolded the key information in that passage.  If you subscribe to the service and you don't find it's meeting your need, you can return your purchase within 30 days for a full refund.

Kind regards,
    David

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points