Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Portable Desktop - an oxymoron or is there hope?

Apr 23, 2012 6:53 AM

Tags: #hardware #premiere_pro #5.5 #premiere_cs5.5

Hi there,

I am considering building a desktop for editing this summer. However, as the title says, there is one consideration I am having a rather difficult time meeting - finding a case condusive to moving around. As I am nearing the end of my college career and not 100% sure where I will end up at any given point in time, I was hoping to make a desktop that is as portable as possible. Originally, I was envisioning something maybe along the lines of a Mac Pro, with solid handles and a decent metal build. I have not had any luck in tracking down anything like this.

Does anybody here know where I can find a decently made large case with a design considerate of transporting around and a professional look? (hopefully available for a price that isn't more expensive than the insides cost!)

Any suggestions welcome, including off the wall ones. At this point I'm almost wondering if I could just buy a simple case and slap on some handles myself. Or am I missing the forest for the trees and simply obsessing over handles too much? It's been a while since I wrestled with a full size case, but maybe it's not as all bad as I remember.

Thanks,

Kristofor

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to Kris_24

Google for LAN party and you will find lots of info.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to Kris_24

I have the Scout case, and it is a bit "tight" for cable routing... but is otherwise a good case with lots of spots to mount case fans to keep the insides cool

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to Kris_24

Kris,

Check out Corsair's Carbide 400t case, or 500t and see what yout think. They are very classy and seem to be a good design for a pretty powerful and well cooled editing PC.

Regarding a handle for the top, someone I worked with last year had to move his PC from office to office and he simply mounted a handle on the top; it looked OK and worked great.

Regarding "webbing" to carry a PC, you can buy that too. As Harm said, Google "LAN party".

Jim

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points