Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Where are the Flash CS6 features for animators?

Apr 23, 2012 11:54 AM

It looks to me that Flash CS6 is quite a letdown to me. Almost none of what I wanted went through.

No 64-bit support (Seriously? Yeah, even 32-bit programs run better in 64-bit OS*, but native 64-bit support is still desirable), no Photoshop application frame (Why, Adobe? Why Photoshop and Illustrator and no one else?), and I don't see any new drawing features featured in the website. The only thing I (remotely) liked would be the maximum canvas sixe finally going up to 8192 pixels.

Just saying that this release is quite a letdown to me. It's basically CS5.5 with extra export options that I'm never going to need.

I'll see how much 3D support this version will have. Maybe that part will change my opinion.

* The idea of using a 32-bit OS in a modern multimedia workstation is a joke. You can't use more than about 3.5 GB of physical RAM across the entire OS. If you're using multiple 32-bit applications, 64-bit OS is more desirable. And I'm talking about Windows here; I don't know how Mac memory management works.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to nocturnal YL

Completely agree with nocturnal here. Pretty much all recent updates included features aimed towards "app developers" and mobile platforms, none of what have any use for people who use Flash as an animation tool. I was hoping we would have UI upgrades, since Illustrator/Photoshop now have adjustable UI colours and upgrades as well.

Why is the stage still limited to 2k by 2k? Why don't we have thumbnails in the library? Why don't we have 64 bit support and more available memory, or perhaps proper rendering and export, or NOT HAVING THE SOFTWARE CRASH EVERY TEN SECONDS?

Seriously guys. Make a proper update one day. You still have CS6.5 to correct it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to Quill707

Man I tell you it's a good thing Adobe has taken to a unified version naming scheme so that whenever they trot out a new version of the Creative Suite, even the soon-to-be-mothballed "new" version of Flash gets a shiny new CS6 moniker tacked onto it. 

Seriously guys, this is Flash CS 5.6, barely, and we all know it.  I don't see ANY new featues important to me as a interactive web developer who is not doing mobile app development.

With Flash's massive installed base and years of legacy content, I'm not jumping off the Flash train any time soon, but seriously, did Adobe just move all the Flash development team onto other projects?

Weird to see Flash becoming the red-headed step-child of the litter. [No offense to red-heads or step-children.]

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to MarkMarinoTheSequel

I think Adobe did a lot of soul-searching last November when they laid off a chunk of the Flash Pro development team, and unfortunately they were using Siri to do it.

What I'm hoping is that the new features they're promoting aren't all that's there in Flash. For example, there are vector improvements in Photoshop. Can Flash import them? It'd be severely idiotic if it couldn't.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 10:23 PM   in reply to nocturnal YL

BOOO  Fix your Brush tool. Hasn't changed since the 90's  It's like using MS paint. What good are all these options you add if the content you create with Flash looks like garbage. Most professionals who draw, aren't spending hundreds of hours tweaking curves and lines just to get a stupid eyebrow to look right. One stroke - done. In the hands of a real artist that's enough. If flash isn't a content creation tool then get rid of the tools that elude to that. If it IS a content creation tool - then make it work on a professional level. Test your tools on actual artsists for a change, not on your pet apes. Just because it makes caveman marks doesn't make it a tool, at least not one that should say 'professional' on the box. This is NOT an upgrade. This is pathetic. The Brush draws as well as it did when Macromedia owned Flash. How long ago was that?

Also no exporting PSD sequence with layers intact? Why can you import AFX files but not go the other way? Heavily dissapointed by this release.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to nocturnal YL

I have to say I am very disapointed in the news as well. I wish I could say thats it I am not longer using Flash anymore, but too many studios use it. I know for me personally I want to start looking towards Toon Boom, at least they have tools geared towards animators. At this point I guess adobe doesnt care about the animator market with Flash. They stil havent added much custimazaation to the drawing tools. We have no real Animation features that are new. The program is so buggy and crashes all the time. Not to mention the weird glitches with fills and outlines. I hope toon boom or someone else just takes over. Adobe doesnt deserve the market share they ahve with flash, because they do NOTHING to keep their users happy.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 2:20 AM   in reply to nocturnal YL

I really hate that I can not double click on a panel bar anymore to collapse or expand! I´m used to doing that for as long as it has been possible. I thought it was a bug. Please put that back in the next update Adobe (if anyone is reading). Workflowinteruptions for no good reason is just stressfull.

Agree about the drawing tools and import/export of layers in all formats should be there by now.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to rmack350

Regarding Vector shapes from Photoshop, No, Flash doesn't make good use of them. Photoshop now lets you apply a stroke to boxes and circles (rather than a stroke effect), and you can make the fill transparent. If you import the PSD into Flash it ignores the stroke and makes the fill opaque. So, no workflow improvement there.

Much of this is because of the way Photoshop draws filled vector shapes. They're actually vector masks rather than filled shapes.

Yes, you can draw the stuff directly in Flash but I like doing the artwork elsewhere where I'm not tempted to think about actionscript and keyframes. And it'd be nice to leverage other people's Photoshop skills.

Alas.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 11:25 PM   in reply to rmack350

I was waiting for Flash CS6 and new improved bone tools but then I found this post and didn't realize Flash CS6 was already out, but from what I read it seems like Flash CS6 is lacking any real animation improvements. Looks like I will be looking at other 2D animation software now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to nocturnal YL

I have 3 years experience animating with Flash CS3 at Mauricio de Souza in Brazil, and I'm still using it. Here in the studio we even tried Flash CS4 but its performance is a lot worse than CS3 when doing animation. The IK tool is irrelevant, it doesn't allow much control and slows down the playback when working in complex scenes. Recently I tried Flash CS6 but there's nothing new to it. I'm going to list 2 features that every animator would love to see in a real upgrade:

- We hate nested symbols. We use it to parent symbols. But imagine you want your character to blink 4 frames later and this happens in sync with some head+brows+hands+mouth movement. Usually there's a symbol for the entire character, then secondary symbols for the head, torso, legs, etc... Inside the head you have the eyes, mouth, nose, brows..  Can you imagine the pain it is to make this simple adjustment in every symbol?  There should be a way to parent symbols without nesting. Like Toon Boom. (I believe that this is the most important feature you could add).

- Adjustable line width. Like the tool that exists in Illustrator CS5/CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to nocturnal YL

Do any of you guys know if Adobe have sorted out the corruption problem that CS4 and CS5 had? We have had about 25% of our files corrupt over a perdiod of time and we're hoping that CS6 doesn't do that anymore.

We have been very dissapointed with what we have seen of the the HTML5 export too as it looks as though it's pretty basic, ok for simple animations without sound or interactivity. We haven't got CS6 yet but at this rate it probably isn't worth getting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to itiohs

itiohs wrote:

- We hate nested symbols. We use it to parent symbols. But imagine you want your character to blink 4 frames later and this happens in sync with some head+brows+hands+mouth movement. Usually there's a symbol for the entire character, then secondary symbols for the head, torso, legs, etc... Inside the head you have the eyes, mouth, nose, brows..  Can you imagine the pain it is to make this simple adjustment in every symbol?  There should be a way to parent symbols without nesting. Like Toon Boom. (I believe that this is the most important feature you could add).

This feature already exists (and has for a looong time). It's called a graphic symbol http://active.tutsplus.com/articles/general/flashs-underrated-graphic- symbol/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to Amy Blankenship

I AM alking about graphic symbols. When I say nested symbols I'm talking about putting a graphic symbol inside another. That's the only way to parent different shapes in Flash. Now take an animated character 'rig', there's a symbol with the whole character, inside this symbol you have symbols for the legs, arms, head, torso, etc... inside the head there are symbols for the eyes, nose, mouth. Inside the arm, symbols for the forearm, inside the forearm a symbols for the hand... and so on. Now try to animate this, and then the director tells you have to make and action happens a couple of frames later. It's just a horrible tool for animation. But it was the only for a long time. (surprisingly Wakfu is animated in Flash) That's why lots of people are swaping to ToonBoom. In our studio, the only reason we haven't bought Toon Boom yet is because we have years of animation done in Flash that would take too much time to convert to Toon Boom.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 12:22 PM   in reply to nocturnal YL

I have been working with Flash CS3 for many years, and a week ago I decided to try Flash CS6 to see if it's any better from the previous updates. First I noticed that it's a little more stable and has some nice features like Auto-save, but after a while I realized, that it's basically all the same piece of c...p

All the comments here concerning visual artists and animators are totally justified. Adobe don't give a s...t about us

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to soom1976

>it's a little more stable

Heh heh heh.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 2:09 AM   in reply to nocturnal YL

I guess I will just go back to Snow Leopard and Flash CS3... I didn't see anything there for me in CS5 - is it different in CS5.5? What has improved in the UI in CS5.5 compared to CS5? And will it work stable on Mountain Lion?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 5:39 AM   in reply to nocturnal YL

Yep. Thanks - got it. I will go for CS5.5 - although I know that some issues are still worse than in CS3, like some mentioned here, but I discovered several nice extensions that replace most of those - let's hope they all work fine in CS5.5 and that the Keyboard shortcuts work well (they didn't in previous versions).

The auto-save is a big improvement. I was using the auto-save extension myself and yes - I got frustrated from enabling it every time (often forgetting)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to nocturnal YL

I'm still using Flash CS3... It's a deception everytime when Adobe launch a new version. They always add new useless features that are not complete.

No new drawing tools, no improvement for animation ect...

At least we have a nice community who writes commands to help us.

Adobe, you have all the ressources to do better, come on!

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to pagcartoon

No improvement for animation? How about CS4's Motion model? Makes all tween-based animation way more versatile.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to nocturnal YL

I would like to see all these features:

•Ability to sync MovieClips to the timeline (through some checkbox option)

•Authortime Pixel Bender filters (imported to Library and available in Filters Panel)

•ToonBoom's brush tool

•Independent X, Y, Z keyframes (behaving like every other property curve)

•Ability to parent one MovieClip to another (instance-based, author-time, like parenting in After Effects)

•3D depth sorting

•Abilty to toggle “Layer” blending independent of blending mode or filter

•Moar blend modes! (Including AND and XOR)

•Motion Tweens and Classic Tweens on the same layer

•Polystar Tool options inside Properties Panel

•Polystar Primitive (with Corner Radius, Inner Radius, etc.)

•Ability to change Graphic symbols’ Play/Loop/Frame settings mid-tween (maybe even keyframed in Motion Editor)

•Mutiple eases per property per tween span

•Easier quadratic curves in Motion Editor

•Ability to exceed 100% in the “Advanced” Color Effect (left column)

•Custom easing for Shape Tweens

•Ability to toggle between constraining proportions and constraining values themselves in the Transform Panel’s “scale” property (the latter was the behavior pre-CS4)

•Make selecting Tween Spans the same as selecting other frames by default (frame-based)

•Ability to import WMA and WMV files

•Access of Shape properties in ActionScript (an inverse to the Drawing API)

•Muting of individual sounds and/or layers with sound

•“Angle” setting for blur (to make it bi-directional)

•For loops in Pixel Bender

•Special blurs for different properties (rotation, skew, scale, etc.) to simulate motion blur

•Illustrator's symbolism tools (shifter, scruncher, sizer, spinner, stainer, and screener)

•Diffusion curves (Orzan et. al. 2008)

•MIDI support (including MIDI events in ActionScript)

•Embedded video (works like bitmap sequence)

•Distort transformation for symbols/vector-y 3D

•Weighted strokes

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 3:36 PM   in reply to khmccurdy

khmccurdy wrote:

I would like to see all these features:

•Ability to sync MovieClips to the timeline (through some checkbox option)

What would be the difference between the existing functionality where you can select a MC instance on the stage and change it to a graphic and your desired functionality? I'm curious.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 6:43 PM   in reply to Amy Blankenship

Generally filters/blend modes, also 3D.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to Amy Blankenship

Amy Blankenship wrote:

What would be the difference between the existing functionality where you can select a MC instance on the stage and change it to a graphic and your desired functionality? I'm curious.

Switching to graphic mode will force a movie clip to loose all the filrers and blending modes, which cannot be assigned to graphic symbols...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points