• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How a user can to read an ebook with DRM in Ubuntu

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to know how a user can read an ebook with DRM in Ubuntu. Does ADE exists for linux?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2013 Jul 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently not. Some company just lost me as a customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2016 Jul 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To my knowledge, and I've been searching for years, you cannot lawfully read a digital rights managed epub on Linux with a native Linux application.

That said, many people have successfully installed Digital Editions on Linux in the WINE environment. Every time Adobe makes even the most minor change to ADE, this breaks, so never ever upgrade your version of ADE if you get it working in WINE. I've had it break with upgrade to a newer version WINE. Adobe has been promising us a native Linux version for years and has failed to produce. This isn't very surprising since the storefronts selling DRM-enabled publications don't care enough to provide Adobe with financial incentive to support Linux.

If you don't mind violating your licensing agreement with the bookstore (Only rarely is this DRM added to the book by the publisher. It is usually done at the e-store and by the e-store.) there are methods of breaking the DRM. It may not be legal in your country. I will not post, in this forum, how to go about doing it but a quick search in your favorite search engine will turn up tutorials. The most reliable methods all rely on having a working version of ADE installed on your system, though, so it's also kind of pointless.

You may, also, try emailing the publisher with an attached sales receipt and explain you cannot read their product because they have effectively locked you out by enabling DRM in the storefront. Many of them will respond with a friendly note with a nonDRM file attached. Some of them will even take the time to go to the store you purchased your publication from and turn off DRM in the back-end. Some publishers, like me, refuse to sell at storefronts who either do not allow us to turn off DRM or otherwise restrict the purchaser's choice in what application to read their books (Barnes & Noble Nook!!! Aaargh! ***holes.)

If, like me, you hate-hate-hate being tied to a single piece of software for reading, the absolute best thing to do is vote with your wallet and not buy DRM-enabled publications. It can be effective to leave scathing reviews based entirely on the fact that the product is DRM enabled. Lots of people care deeply whether a product is DRM-enabled and will also refuse to purchase if they know, beforehand, that it's DRM-enabled. Also, the author and publisher care deeply about the book's rating in that store because it affects future sales.

Good luck to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines