Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Best practise to convert NTSC footage to PAL

Apr 24, 2012 4:12 AM

Hi,

I have received a drive with NTSC footage and it needs to be edited to made available in both NTSC and PAL format.

Importing the NTSC footage is straight forward, but if I need to encode it out for the PAL format, is there a process available to do this through Premiere Pro?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 5:08 AM   in reply to Macnimation

If you deliver on DVD, don't take the trouble and quality degradation of converting to PAL. All DVD players in PAL country play NTSC material without problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:36 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm's advice is good, but there are also some instructions for doing conversions in this section of After Effects Help:

"Converting movies"

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm, I found this query today as I have a similar situation. I shot a memorial service for a client who, after the fact, told me that she needs to send several DVDs to Norway! Knowing that I might be facing a transcoding challenge, I came here and found your reply. With consideration for Todd's point to After Effects (which I suck at, candidly), I am pleased to know that PAL DVD players can handle NTSC encoded stuff. THANK YOU!!!

P.S. I've seen your advice in other areas of the PPro forum and have always appreciated your insight...thanks for that, as well!

Terry W.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Just a question - excuse my ignorance - if DVD players in PAL countries play all NTSC material without problems - can it still be viewed without problems if the DVD is connected to a PAL TV?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to cvid01

it can since PAL Tv's made since about the last 10 years have a compatability mode called "PAL 60" (60hz)

I've sent a lot of NTSC discs to europe with no problem, though I did have a client insist on PAL format a

few times.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to rexpost

Thank you. Since I did not know about PAL TVs in Europe, etc.being able to show NTSC discs. What I have done when making discs for Europe, is send both NTSC and PAL versions of the DVD. So far, no complaints, although I haven't done very many. Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points