Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Importing folders from XP computer to new Ver 7 computer

Apr 24, 2012 6:34 PM

Have just migrated to new PC (Ver 7) from an CP machine.  LR 2.7 is loaded on the new machine and I have a folder called Photo Universe that contains 15,000+ photos with keywords, modifications, etc.  Quustion is how to import the existing folders and photos so that my previous keywords, configurations and settings carry over as well.

I tried "Selecting All" sub folders, but that didn't work.  I guess I'm hoping and looking for a silver bullet.  On the other hand, I'll do whatever it takes to make this happen.

Can anyone offer any advice?

mjohn

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 10:24 PM   in reply to themeister

When upgrading to a new LR version you NEVER reimport.

You convert your latest catalog from the old version by opening it in the new version.

Thus you will have all folder structures automatically available, plus keywords, collections, develop history.

Throw away any potentially created new catalog of the new version.

BTW rather install the latest download of LR4.1RC than a boxed version of 4.0 due to bug fixes.

Good luck,

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to themeister

The catalog location can be found by launching LR on the old computer and selecting Edit->Catalog Preferences. It will be a file with extension .LRCAT (might be lower case) Make sure you have moved this *.LRCAT file to the new computer, and then open Lightroom and File->Open Catalog and point it to the .LRCAT file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to themeister

Why not have a read of this blog post from Victoria Bampton's web-site: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/2009/02/28/how-do-i-move-lightroom-to-a- new-computer/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points