Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Missing Thumbnails

Apr 24, 2012 10:56 PM

I have been using ACR v.5.7 (hosted by Adobe Bridge CS4 (v3.0) for several years as part of PSE8. I recently purchased a Canon 60D DSLR & imported the RAW images into Adobe Bridge as I have using other cameras for years. However, in the Content panel of Bridge, the images do not apper as thumbnails, but rather as blank "white paper" icons. This issue has never occurred before. I might add that JPEG thumbnails appear as normal. So the problem seems to be with RAW files.

I might point out that I am using a MacBook Pro (OS x10.7). Also, although the imported RAW images do not appear as thumbnails in Bridge, they do appear properly as thumbnails  in my home folder.

Might there be an incompatibility between the Canon 60D & Adobe Bridge CS4 (v.3.0)? Might the Camera Raw plug-in not support the 60D?

Hopefully someone can sort this out or me. Thank you kindly.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 5:21 AM   in reply to kitjv

In Bridge, go to the Tools menu and Purge the Cache for each offending folder.

Of course, FIRST make sure your camera model is supported in ACR 5,7:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4359468?tstart=0#4359468

Well, as a matter of fact, I just checked:  your camera model is NOT supported, you need at least ACR 6.2, which only works with CS5.

You need to download the latest version free Adobe DNG Converter, 6.6 or 6.7, and convert four Canon raw files to DNGs first, then you'll be able to see the previews in Bridge and open them in ACR 5.7 hosted by CS4.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 25, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to kitjv

How long did you leave it alone after it "hung up"?  Was there any disk drive activity?

I believe "four" may have been a typo, where "your" was intended.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to kitjv

kitjv wrote:

…"convert four Canon raw files to DNGs first ...". Could you please explain this briefly?…

Typo, indeed—sorry.  Should read convert your Canon raw files to raw DNGs first, then open them in ACR hosted by CS4.

Some users have had problems with DNG Converter 6.6, I'd definitely try the (beta) Release Candidate ACR 6.7 version.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 25, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to kitjv

I don't use Bridge, so maybe I'm missing some integration that's supposed to be there, but I thought the DNG converter was a standalone application.  That's the only way I've ever run it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to kitjv

Yes, the DNG Converter is indeed a stand-alone application.

Be advised that if you point the DNG Converter to a folder, it will convert ALL eligible files to DNG, including any DNGs it finds there in that folder, it will re-convert them again, so make sure the folder you point it to contains only raw files from the camera.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to kitjv

The reason I mention this is that, in the process of re-converting any DNGs it finds in the folder, it will ignore any edits you may have already applied to them and overwrite the original DNG, so you'll lose any and all adjustments you may have applied to them already.

Bridge is just an image browser, it doesn't edit or convert anything.  It just hands the files over to ACR, Photoshop, Illustrator or Microsoft Word or any other applicable application.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to kitjv

There should be a setting in the DNG Converter allowing you to do that.

Personally, I'd keep the originals, just in case some future technology is developed to take advantage of something or other that is not currently used.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points