Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro CS6 to Take Advantage of High-End Hardware

Apr 25, 2012 6:06 AM

Here is an interesting video where David Helmly of Adobe demonstrates the advantages of Xeon processors plus a Quadra 2000 and a Tesla 2750 in a Maximus configuration.  Evidently Premiere Pro CS6 has been redesigned to take advantage of  higher end hardware that only demonstrated a marginal performance advantage in CS5 - CS5.5.  David also mentioned increased program stability.  The 2750 must be a new card, perhaps under development.  I couldn't find mention of it anywhere online, Nvidia's Website etc.

Here is the video

Other Tesla cards I looked at were in the $4000 range.  Would like to look at benchmarks of the very high-end system David spoke of in the video.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

Thanks. This could throw "bang-for-the-buck" out the window. CS6 may make excellent use of the capabilities of a Quadro (such as DirectCompute) that are seriously lacking in the GeForce. What this all means is that a PC with a CPU that's typical of what most of us have been already using for CS5.5 and equipped with a top-of-the-line GeForce may run slower overall in PPro CS6 than an otherwise identical PC equipped with a relatively low-end Quadro 600 (with the CUDA hack if it's still allowed in CS6).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 6:50 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

Tesla 2750

This is probably a typo, since it may have have been intended to read "Tesla C2075", around € 2300 over here. I'm just wondering if that card could give similar benefits in combination with a GTX card and not only with a Quadro card.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

The video link in the first post doesn't work.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

I'm just wondering if that card could give similar benefits in combination with a GTX card and not only with a Quadro card.

This has been confirmed by Adobe. Tesla ONLY works in combination with a Quadro card, not with a GTX card. Next question is whether a 448 core Tesla card will improve anything over a 580 (512 cores) or even a 680 card. Awaiting Adobes reaction on that.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

It's not clear from that video whether PP6 takes a particular advantage of Xeon processors not exploited in previous versions, or whether the performance improvements are processor-wide.

Since Tesla+Quadro is a bit expensive, it would seem unlikely most users would resort to it(?)

Can anybody clarify whether Xeon processors have a particular advantage over the 3930 series generally favored here?

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 7:34 PM   in reply to jamesp2

James.. It's probably too technical for me to explain, but see this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xeon-e5-2687w-benchmark-review,314 9-10.html from a recent review by Tom's Harware Review.  I was originally expecting that a 3930 would produce output much the same as a similarly clocked E5 Xeon, however, there seems to be more to the puzzle. FYI, E5-1600 series are single socket CPUs, E5-2600 are for dual socket boards. A "W" on the end denotes workstation processor. Hope this helps. 

I'm also in need of upgrading (Pr-Pro 5.5 with an older Bad-Ax2 MD w/quad X6700 CPU - ancient for HD needs).  Was considering a 3930 or new i7-3770 Ivy Bridge set up, but maybe should consider spending big bucks $$$. By the way, I found a 460GTX, at a good price, with 336 Cuda cores and ran the hack.  It does help quite a bit, but 1080P AVCHD still is tough on the timeline.

Curious to get your takes on the Toms reviews/ benchmark results.

Doug A

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points