Skip navigation
marco.scarinci
Currently Being Moderated

LR4 doesn't import video files .avi and cannot playback

Apr 25, 2012 10:43 AM

Tags: #problem #avi #video #playback #import #olympus #lightroom_4 #lr4

Hello,

I have a big issue with my brand new Lightroom 4.

I've been working on my updated catalog (from LR3) very well, since I tried to import fotos and videos from my second camera (olympus E-PL1).

This "old" catalog contains RAW files (NEF and ORF), Jpeg and Video files (.avi).

In LR3 I had no problems in importing video file and in playing the back with the external player.

Now in LR4 is a real disaster!

I cannot even import .avi files properly.

LR is importing fotos but is giving a failure message on most of the video (avi) file.

Sometimes it imports just few videos and sometimes none of them.

I've tried to import them in differnt way: from camera directly, from a card reader, from an external drive and even from the c: hard drive. i've tried to move, and to add them in catalog. NO WAY!

I've also tried to clean the video cache: no changes. To disable GL accelerator: no results. I have no further idea.

I can play these video files in all applications, from WMP to Quicktime. I have also Vlan installed.

Furthermore, while trying to import or playback videos. LR4 is slowing up in a very strange way. And sometime is crashing the last imported session (files not foud)

I've tried to reinstall it, but I didn't see any different result.

I've searched everywhere in the web for a possible solution, but I didn't find anything.

Avi file I'm talking about are coming from a olympus camera E-PL1, they are in 720p.

Please help me, beacuse I am very disappointed wih thios new video feature.

Thank you in advance!

Marco

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to marco.scarinci

Have you tried the steps listed here?:

Troubleshoot video issues in Lightroom 4

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to marco.scarinci

LR4 video support is very buggy.  I had to use another software for my video collection.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to tochiromifune

The major problem with working with video files is that they are not all created equally, especially AVI files. The video features are largely in Lightroom to work with files that come directly from DSLR cameras. It can support more than just those files, but there are also issues with codecs.

Marco, did you convert your LR3 catalog to LR4 so that the AVI files you had imported previously would automatically be in LR4?

Do you still have LR3 on the computer? Can you verify whether you can import the AVI files that will not import into LR4 into LR3?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to marco.scarinci

Have almost the same problem with LR4:

Photo's from Nikon D200 and Olympus E-P1 are imported correctly. As soon as an AVI-file is part of an import session the complete import (ORF plus AVI) is stopped. And a pop-up says: No Photos found.

I hope someone can solve this problem..

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to marco.scarinci

there's a KB article here http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/video-support-lightroom-4-3.html

and make sure in your firewall that Lightroom can establish connections to 127.0.0.1 (your own computer), that's obviously how it connects to the media server that it uses for video files

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 1:55 AM   in reply to marco.scarinci

If you quit Lightroom, do these two processes stay loaded (check Task

Manager)? IF they, do try killing them before starting Lightroom again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 1:25 AM   in reply to marco.scarinci

Just a question. You have tried to tick away the dont reimport suspected duplicates in the import dialogbox? I did that and everything worked fine also videos from PL1 and older formats. Have you tried to open a brand new cataloge and import just a few files?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață

Are these processes supposed to auto kill upon exit? Mine stay running.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points