Skip navigation
JakubJaworski
Currently Being Moderated

Free upgrade to CS 6 (student version)

Apr 25, 2012 3:08 PM

Tags: #cs5.5 #upgrade #cs6

Hello,

When I buy student version of Creative Suite 5.5, then buy upgrade to CS 6, I will have full commercial version of product (without any restrictions), right?

So, if previous sentence is true, I have question about buying Creative Suite 5.5 student version with free upgrade to CS 6. Is the free upgrade the same as upgrade "from previous sentence"? If I buy student version of CS 5.5 with free upgrade, will I have (after free upgrade) full commercial version of CS 6 without any restrictions or it would be only CS 6 still student version?

Sorry for my English.

Thanks for answer.

JJ

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to JakubJaworski

AFAIK, you'll get a student version as well.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 5:57 AM   in reply to JakubJaworski

What is fascinating is that now that the CS6 version is released, there are zero links for the "free" upgrade.  Of course with Adobe's horrific DRM/installation/license support tactics, that really doesnt suprise me.  I figure there are even odds that they will ever provide the free upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to jsjacks

Yeah, I bought CS5.5 (which is no better than CS5) specifically for the upgrade to CS6 pricing. CS6 is out this morning, I called Adobe's store to find out how to upgrade becaus their horrid excuse for a website has no info on that, and the Adobe employee told me CS6 hadn't been released yet. I told him it was on their website and he told me to download the trial then and they'd email me a serial number, but didn't know when. The really sad part is that I knew this was going to happen, which is why I waited so long to update to CS5.5. I'm sure I'll get my serial number sooner or later, but will I get it soon, without having to call again, without a lot of drama? Doubtful.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to -pk-

The FAQ on this stated that you’d get an email within 10 days of CS6 shipping.

I suggest waiting that long before complaining.

If you haven’t heard anything by the 17th then come on back and I’ll see what I can find out.

In the mean time you can download the 30 day demos. These are identical to the full commercial versions and you can just plug your serial number in when you get it.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I guess I just expect more from Adobe. I kind of expect an email with my serial number when CS6 is available for purchase. Aperture had something similar (buy now and upgrade for free when the next version comes out) and that was immediate. Granted, Aperture is Apple, not Adobe, but I don't feel this is too much to expect.

Yes, I know I can use the trial, but I shouldn't have to. It's the little things that make a company great. It's the ability to pay attention to detail (little things like a simple serial number when a product releases) that make a difference.

I used to love Adobe (or parts, I've never been a huge fan of Dreamweaver or Flash). I adopted to InDesign when everyone said it would never stand a chance against Quark — I even went to toe to toe with the owner of the design studio to defend it. I would spend hours learning the new stuff in Photoshop. I'd lose sleep the night before CS was scheduled to arrive on my doorstep. I don't know if the company just got too big or it lost its way, but it's really too bad.

It's not just the serial number, it's the fact that InDesign still doesn't match Photoshop and Illustrator (and those two just started matching), it's the 5.5 releases that I thiink most of the community agrees was a sad excuse for a paid upgrade, it's the constant excuses of why Adobe can't play well with OS specific features (like Lion full-screen compatibility), it's the website that has some major flaws (like the <div class="LayoutHAlignItems LinkStrong"> below this field as one very quick example).

I don't expect Adobe to be perfect. I don't even expect Adobe to be on par with Apple. I do expect Adobe to be better than companies like Panic (no offense to Panic, they do a great job, but Adobe has quite a bit more resources at hand and really should be so much better).

Look, I know you're either an Adobe employee or someone who is still very much enamoured with their products, and until a serious competitor comes out, I'll still be a customer of Adobe. I just wish Adobe could catch up to the rest of the industry and, even more so, I wish they could be a company I could love again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to -pk-

Have you done any research at all on this?

As I said, Adobe made it clear to wait 10 days. Why did you expect better. If Adobe had promised a serial number the day the product shipped I’d say you have a beef, but they were clear about it taking 10 days.

And again…what’s wrong with the demo in the meantime. All that’s missing is a serial number. It’s not like you have to download it again.

And no, I’m not an employee, just a volunteer here trying to help.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Looks like we may have to wait until May 25 to be able to download what we ordered.

As I can only find the Master Collection Triall available to download and I ordered the Desgin Premium Collection. If I install the Master Collection Trial will I be able to use the serial number for the Desgin Premium Collection once Adobe sends me the info/coupon code when ever they get around to it?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to Was DYP

Go back to the download page. You’ll see a dropdown menu all product trials.

If you bought Cs5.5 Design Premium you’ll want to download the Design and Web Premium trial.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 12:57 AM   in reply to JakubJaworski

I got cs5.5 master collection through my school in april '12. So I'm counting on getting an email from adobe also. Question: I'm on a macbook pro 2011, should I delete the cs5.5 software to make room for cs6? will my mac slow down if I have both cs5.5 and cs6 on it? is that even possible? or will cs6 overwrite cs5.5 or something? I'm new to adobe and this mac. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to AlonzoG

You will not get an email from Adobe if you bought it from the school. Follow these directions:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/upgrade-policy-produ ct-announcement1.html

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I'm waiting for a reply from my school now. But Me registering the product personally with serial number, doesn't that show that I paid for it, personally? Even though I got it through school.

Thanks for the help Bob.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to AlonzoG

I gave the direction you need to follow. Follow them.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points