Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AVCHD and Premiere Pro...HELP

Apr 25, 2012 4:25 PM

Hey guys,

After some time I've managed to stabilize my computer (with some help ).

I'm having some trouble though...

I can't seem to get my AVCHD files to scrub smoothly in Pp5.5. I'm beginning to believe that the fault lies with Pp5.5 itself, not my hardware or settings.

My software is up-to-date v5.5.2.

I've gone through Harm's tune tips and have changed almost everything except creating a new page file.

I've searched the forums, but have not found a fix for this problem.

I've included some screen shots in order to help you guys help me......let me know if you need any more info.

This is driving me bonkers.

Computer specs:

Adobe PP CS5.5

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz

CPU cooling: intel liquid cooling solution

Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 Pro

Memory: 32GB Samsung 1.35v

GPU: ASUS GTX 570 1280mb

Boot Drive: 180GB corasir Force GT SSD

Storage: Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD x2 RAID 0

PSU: Cooler Master 1000w Pro Gold

Optical Drive: pioneer

Case: Fractal Designs Full Tower (1) 180mm fan + (3) 140mm fans + (1) 120mm fan

AVCHDprb1.jpg AVCHDprb2.jpg AVCHDprb3.jpg AVCHDprb4.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to RByds4te

>AVCHD files

Your project shows capture format HDV... I think that is wrong for AVCHD

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 6:59 PM   in reply to John T Smith

1) CS5.5 handles AVCHD really well.

It seems that your system is plenty up to spec, so there is likely a software or driver glitch that is specific to your system. Don't dispair because that is likely fixable.

I don't think the capture preset should matter when you are not employing a capture device.

Make sure that you have the latest drivers from nvidia for you card.

Also, describe what you see and what you expect during scrubbing. Does MPE RT playback work other than scrubbing?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 9:46 PM   in reply to RByds4te

Yes MPE real time.

Assuming your presets are correct and that you are utilizing the GTX570 for MPE hardware acceleration, your system should work better.

Couple of things to try are agian, latest Nvidia driver, and perhaps disable Areo to see if there might a GPU related issue.

The only other thing I can think of is less than it should be raid performance.

Might try posting this in the hardware section to get the heavy hitters on the case.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 6:50 AM   in reply to RByds4te

How do you bring the AVCHD files into Premiere? When transferring data from camera memory card to PC hard drive, copy the WHOLE FOLDER STRUCTURE to drive as is, then use Media Browser in Premiere to import clips. Next, silly question, but have you "zoomed in" to the timeline before scrubbing? Use the + and - keys. Get in closer for finer scrubbing response, viewing just a smaller part of the timeline rather than everything at once.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 10:19 PM   in reply to RByds4te

It's best if you copy the entire PRIVATE folder, not just the video clips.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

As Jim and I have both said, it is important to copy over ALL the folders intact. If you try to dig down in the camera card and only copy the video files, that is where problems come up. Copy the whole works to your hard drive, and then at the lower left of Premiere interface, next to Effects Tab, look for the Media Browser tab there, and Import the clips that way.

AVHCD uses a lot of extra info in the various folders, sometimes having seperate audio even, and all the extra files have some meaning and importance. Media Browser understands all of that and once you point it to the parent directory it will sift through it all and properly import any relevant files and their connections to one another, behind the scenes. This is best practice for file-based media imports.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 8:54 PM   in reply to RByds4te

Well, you effectively have only two disks/volumes, which is below practical minimum requirements. A player like WMP demands much less of a system than an editor and you are running into disk setup limitations. It is a pity, because your CPU is quite good, but your disk setup is not. Add a couple of disks...

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to RByds4te

[Post with personal attack deleted]

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to RByds4te

related to disk issues?

Very unlikely.  AVCHD has the same data rate as DV, and even a single modern disk is plenty fast enough to feed multiple simultaneous streams.  Your RAID 0 should be far more than sufficient.

No...AVCHD performance really hinges on the CPU more than anything.  Yours is plenty kick-***, so something else is causing the issue, but the hard drives aren't a likely candidate.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 4:46 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

You still don't get it Jim.

Very unlikely.  AVCHD has the same data rate as DV, and even a single modern disk is plenty fast enough to feed multiple simultaneous streams.

Even with a single track with AVCHD material, it requires a sustained transfer rate of up to 50 MB/s and with 3 or 4 tracks that figure easily goes up to more than 95 MB/s sustained transfer rate, with 4K material it goes beyond 300 MB/s. Add the half duplex nature of SATA into the configuration on a system with only two disks, the Windows housekeeping, the memory requirements which are way more than 14 GB and the need for paging and you are lost.

Sorry chap, you really have to get more acquainted with the intricacies of decoding AVCHD material before you make such blanket and incorrect statements.

And this is only playing the timeline, not scrubbing it, which makes for much heavier disk requirements.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 12:10 AM   in reply to RByds4te

A mirrored raid is still seen as a single volume by Windows. There is nothing wrong with a raid1, it helps you keep your data safe, but it is costly and offers no performance gains over a single disk. If you have a look at the 'Featured Discussion' at the top of the hardware forum about Raid Performance and Rebuild issues, things may become a bit clearer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to RByds4te

Kid, don't let Harm bambozle you.  Your computer is plenty fast to scrub AVCHD.  And you were correct in guessing that the problem was with CS5.5.  There are a number of threads here that talk about the problem.  Adobe has not addressed the problem (and, no, CS5.5.2 did not correct the problem).  If you can get a hold of a copy of Premiere CS5, give it a try.  Scrubbing will be as smooth as butter with AVCHD.  My guess is scrubbing the same material with some other editing software will be as equally smooth.  I've got a computer that has a fraction of the power of your computer.  DSLR footage and AVCHD is slow and choppy in CS5.5.  But in CS5, no problems at all.  Scrubbing is as smooth as glass in CS5.  What adobe did between CS5 and 5.5 I have no idea, but the problem hasn't been fixed.  And of course there is no guarantee it will be fixed in CS6.  Hell, they may move onto CS10 before they get around to fixing the issue (which is par for the course for adobe). 

Just trying to save you some grief, kid.  Nothing wrong with your computer, it is CS5.5.  Hope you read this before the moderator deletes my account.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 5:00 AM   in reply to ramgate1979

Hope you read this before the moderator deletes my account.

As long as your posts remain helpful (like the one to which I'm replying), reasonably polite and consist of things other than personal attacks and rants, nothing's going to happen to your account.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Then why did you delete my post to Harm?

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to ramgate1979

Because it was redundant.  Just like the two that I'm about to delete now.

You made your point in the post replying to RByds4te.  You don't need to repeat the same info in replies to other participants.  Stephen and Harm will see your reply to RByds4te when they check the thread, either here or by email.  They don't need their own personal copy.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points