Skip navigation
skyhigh82
Currently Being Moderated

Best book for a beginner non-photography

Apr 26, 2012 8:39 AM

Hello,

I am a small business owner and have paid to have my logo and business cards created. Now that I have the files I would like to learn how to edit these files…such as adding things to my business card and using them to create posters/signs…ect. I’m not really interested in using for photography.

I have adobe photoshop CS5.1 windows

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to skyhigh82

Professional designers rarely use Photoshop for business identity. This is usually done with more versatile vector tools, like those found in Illustrator.

What type of files were supplied to you?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to skyhigh82

I certainly wouldn't edit graphics originally created from someone you hired to produce (especially if these graphics are to represent your business). I mean, you hired a professional for a reason, right? I would be floored if I saw one of my clients edit something I did just to make it look less professional (some designers actually stipulate their work can't be altered). If you want to use those files to learn and play around with, that's one thing, but I certainly wouldn't take on the role of designer when it comes to your own branding.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

That seems like a very odd position. You might be reading too much into this.

A designer made skyhigh82's logo. Skyhigh82 wants to use that logo to create posters and signs. There is absolutely nothing unusual about that.

While I would guess that skyhigh82 might be in over their head to think that simply picking up a book is going to help them learn print design, there is no reason why they should not be able to utiltize the artwork that they paid for.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,858 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Guys, with all due respect, professional graphic designers are not infalible, and  if skyhigh wants to learn Photoshop, then good on him.  He has apparently just spent a great deal of money on the program, so let him use it for goodness sake. 

I see that Matt Kloskowski's 'Photoshop Compositing Secrets' is Amazon's Photoshop book of the year.  Matt is one of the Photoshop User TV team along with the likes of Scott Kelby and Corey Barker.  skyhigh, if you have an iPad, fire up iTunes and look for Photoshop user TV  It is one of the best free resources on the web. 

BTW  If you have not actually bought Photoshop yet, and am using it via the trial period, then Photoshop Elements is a very powerful package, easier to learn, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 2:14 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

That seems like a very odd position. You might be reading too much into this.

I think it is you which misread my response.

I'm not sure how I misread

I would like to learn how to edit these files…such as adding things to my business card and using them to create posters/signs

"edit these files" and "add things to my business card" certainly doesn't mean simply adding them to something to make a poster. When I read "edit these files", that sounds like they want to change (hense the word edit) parts of the logo and/or business card, THEN using them to make a poster, etc. That was the reason I questioned wanting to change a design in which was paid for and created by a professional.

The OP simply misused the word "edit", that's all...

He has apparently just spent a great deal of money on the program, so let him use it for goodness sake.

No one said anything about not wanting him to use a program.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 12:42 AM   in reply to skyhigh82

There are actually a lot of tutorials in the net skyhigh82. If you want videos on it, YouTube can be a great resource.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to skyhigh82

Skyhigh,

I do not want to get too far afield of what you have asked for, but would like to give you a little something to think about:

Photoshop is build around Raster Images, i.e. Images composed of pixels. Most of the formats that you mention are pixel-based formats. While those can be Scaled, within reason, they do not offer the flexibility, that a Vector-based Image can. That is why most logo work is done in Vector-based formats, such as AI - total Scability - as has been mentioned.

For the use, that you describe (if I read it correctly), you might be better served to use Adobe Illustrator, which you already have, and adding Adobe InDesign. It is a page-design program, and can do such things, as business cards, with ease. It even comes with some popular Templates, where you would just add the elements, and Type, required, and would end up an 8.5 x 11 page of cards, that could be handed off to a commercial printer, or even run through a good desktop inkjet, or laser, using something like the Avery "clear-edge" business card stock.

InDesign will work wih Raster, or Vector art (what you already have, and have paid for), and handles Type much better, than does Photoshop.

I am not saying that one cannot create and then print business cards (only one application here) from Photoshop, but that it is likely not the ultimate tool for that purpose.

I also highly recommend Adobe TV, but you may have to spend some time finding the tutorials, that will help you.

Good luck, and just something to think about.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points