Skip navigation
Frappy6666
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat Reader X freeze and cannot be terminated

Apr 27, 2012 1:18 PM

since a few days now, i have 3 users who has issue with Adobe Reader X (10.1.3.23). when they open a PDF, adobe freeze and cannot be terminated via task manager.

here is the error in the event viewer:

Hanging application AcroRd32.exe, version 10.1.3.23, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000

The strange thing is that when i do a right click on the PDF from the task manager and select 'go to process...' it take me to the SCRSS.EXE and not the AcroRd32.exe

To remidy on this issue, a reboot is required since i cannot terminate CSRSS. Adobe seems to work for a while... but so far, it come back the next day.

I also checked if the SCRSS is not a virus and passed the MD5.

I tried to uninstall/reinstall but the issue persist.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 1:32 AM   in reply to Frappy6666

Hi,

Can you try and delete all the files and folders present in your Reader installation directory (by default its C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0). Now try and repair the installation from within the Control Panel.

For Windows XP: Add/Remove Programs

For Win 7: Programs and Features

Does this solve the issue? If not, could you let me know the following information:

1. Is the process name actually: csrss.exe?

2. The OS you are working on?

3. If you are working on Win 7, then could you please get me the location of the process csrss.exe.

You can do the same by chosing to view the column "Command Line" from Task Manager (View > Select Columns)

Thanks

Ankit

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 5:18 AM   in reply to Frappy6666

I am having this EXACT issue!!! 

We have been having it with versions 10.1.1 thru 10.1.3. I recently pushed 10.1.3 to our company via SCCM in hopes to repair this issue, but it is still happening with many of our users. I can not find any root cause. I was hoping Adobe would respond with a solution.

Any assistance is much appreciated

Thanks,

Philip

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 12:58 AM   in reply to Ankit_Jain

Hi

we had this problem at our company too. Adobe Reader 10 freezes at startup and cannot be killed using task manager. When looking for the process of the Acrobat window (2 windows are listed), one belongs to AcroRd32.exe and the other one to crss.exe.

So far, disabling "protected mode at startup" has always solved the problem (Win7 64bit, only SAP/Office installed).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points