Skip navigation
nycvelo
Currently Being Moderated

iPhoto->Lightroom import: Automating collection creation

Apr 28, 2012 2:55 PM

I am looking to import several hundred iPhoto albums into Lightroom 4, with a new Lightroom collection for each iPhoto album. The album names are in the format YYYYMMDD.

Is there a method to automate the creation of collections and/or smart collections to do this?

I found this excellent post and script for exporting the iPhoto albums:

http://labonnesoupe.org/2011/04/03/iphoto-to-lightroom-to-flickr-and-b eyond/

The AppleScript mentioned in this post does a flawless job of exporting the iPhoto albums, and it's very easy to import the resulting folders into Lightroom. However, Lightroom's import facility does not appear to support collection creation. I haven't found a programmatic way to create collections elsewhere in Lightroom.

Thanks in advance for clues about automating the creation and population of Lightroom collections.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2012 11:19 PM   in reply to nycvelo

If you're a programmer, you could use the LR SDK to write a plugin script that creates collections based on the folder structure.  Adobe hasn't provided SDK documentation for LR 4 yet, but there doesn't appear to be many changes from the LR 3 SDK, so its documentation should be adequate.   The learning curve can be a little steep, so expect to spend at least 6 hours, perhaps more, depending on your facility at picking up new programming languages and applications.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to nycvelo

That download is mislabeled -- the SDK is for both Mac and Windows.  (The SDK is just documentation plus samples.)  As I mentioned, the LR 4 SDK hasn't been released by Adobe yet, but the LR 3 SDK should be good enough.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points