Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom and Preview Cache

Apr 29, 2012 5:12 PM

Hello: I have Lightroom 4 (for several days) and today I encountered this message:"Lightroom encountered an error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit. Lightroom will attempt to fix this problem the next time it launches". Then I click on "OK" and the program closes. I have tried a number of times to start this program, also I have tried restarting my computer, but the same message reappears. I have a PC with windows 7, 64 bit, Photoshop 5.

Can you please help me resolve this issue?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2012 5:41 PM   in reply to once free

Try deleting the preview cache.

i.e. Delete the folder in the same directory as your catalog whose extension is '.lrdata'.

Better?

Note: It'll be slow browsing the library afterward, until previews are rebuilt.

It'll get done automagically by itself, over time, but you can speed that along by using the Library menu: Previews -> Render...

(do 1:1 if you've got space & time, else standard).

R

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:19 PM   in reply to once free

once free wrote:

Thank you for your assistance.....Rob

Does this mean that deleting the preview cache helped?

You're welcome in any case...

R

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 4:44 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

AWESOME!! I almost started freaking out when I had this problem. That totally helped.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to Cesaron

Cool. Yeah, things happen sometimes. Previews can go wonky and screw Lr up until it gets sorted out.

In fact, in more general terms, there are 2 kinds of problems in Lightroom:

1.System/Hardware/Drivers...

2. Lr dependent files.

(in techy terms: software, hardware, or data).

That's why I recommend that people try deleting all possible Lr dependent files if Lr is performing badly (to be sure, one can swap present system drive with a new hard drive as a quick test, or run Lr in a virtual machine...). Since, no way Lr is going to perform properly with wonkified files, and likewise, no way it is going to perform properly if it doesn't like something about your system. Knowing which of those cases is the case gives one the power to know what to do, or to not...

Both of those things have been the root cause of different peoples performance woes in Lightroom (and sometimes more than one of them). (Note: origin of Lr dependent file wonkification is usually, but not always, Lr bugs, and even if it doesn't like something about your system, it's usually due to Lr bugs (or lack of programming around other dependent software bugs...)). That's why the fix for most people is a new version of Lightroom. Even your problem  with wonky previews, which you fixed by deleting them, could have been fixed by a new version of Lightroom which detected the wonkification, and handled it more appropriately...

Sorry - way more than you asked for, I know: please forgive..

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

I installed the trial version but it gets the same error message about preview files.  I tried both ways.  I tried with the preview folder in place and I tried with the preview folder deleted from the hard drive.  I still can't access either Lighroom 4.4 or the trial 5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to SherryWHH

Just a guess, but maybe you have deleted the wrong items?

Search your computer for all folders that end with .LRDATA and get rid of them all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 4:55 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Thanks for the ideas. (I triple checked and had only worked with the preview folder.) I lucked out and tried a variation of one of the suggestions I saw.  Instead of using the icons that Adobe installed on my desk top, I went into the folders (My Pictures>Lightroom) and clicked on the Lightroom folder and Lightroom opened successfully from there.  It seemed to fix itself and now both version  4.4 and the trial version open from the desk top.  Thanks for every one's time and ideas.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 5:31 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

I am having is very issue and it is causing me GREAT frustration.

I just had a new system built and purchased LTR5 and Photoshop Elements 11 new from Adobe and downloaded within hours of first turning on my new system (Windows 7, Intel Core i5 Quad Core Processor, Toshiba 32MB Hard Drive, 8GB Memory, Intel 6GB motherboard- I tell you this reading off of my Newegg order sheet because I have NO CLUE what all of this means but I am hoping it helps solve my issue.....)

So I uninstalled, reinstalled, tried deleting the .lrdata and the .lrcat and everything the forums have been suggesting and I am STILL having the freezing (and in turn crashing) when Exporting, thumping through photos in Library, etc.... and I am about to go B S crazy over it.

What am I doing wrong!??!?! I have people waiting now for photos for over a week and I am about to resort to my old computer which I used Lightroom 2 on Windows 95 and averaged 4 photos edited every 4 hours but it would be more than I am editing now. Can you help!?!?! PLEASEE!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 5:40 AM   in reply to ANJPhotog84

I am having is very issue and it is causing me GREAT frustration.

I just had a new system built and purchased LTR5 and Photoshop Elements 11 new from Adobe and downloaded within hours of first turning on my new system (Windows 7, Intel Core i5 Quad Core Processor, Toshiba 32MB Hard Drive, 8GB Memory, Intel 6GB motherboard- I tell you this reading off of my Newegg order sheet because I have NO CLUE what all of this means but I am hoping it helps solve my issue.....)

So I uninstalled, reinstalled, tried deleting the .lrdata and the .lrcat and everything the forums have been suggesting and I am STILL having the freezing (and in turn crashing)

With all due respect, freezing and crashing does not sound like the same issue we are discussing here, which had to do with preview cache.

And so, perhaps a different solution is in order. Close Lightroom, delete your preferences file, then re-open Lightroom.

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/preference-file-locations-lightroo m-4.html

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 6:10 AM   in reply to dj_paige

I came upon this thread as I was originally recieving the error message: "Lightroom encountered an error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit. Lightroom will attempt to fix this problem the next time it launches." I deleted the suggested '.lrdata, etc' programs and that error stopped popping up.

Sorry, I left that part out. Now I am not getting that error, only the crashing when I attempt to Export photos.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 6:14 AM   in reply to ANJPhotog84

So did you try deleting the preferences file?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 6:38 AM   in reply to dj_paige

I am not currently at my home computer, so I am trying to get as much information as I can now to try and resolve this tonight so I can start working again.

Would my using RAW photo files have anything to do with it? Adobe Cust Support suggested that I try uploading another file type and see if still crashes- but I only work in RAW and do not understand why this would matter. The programs that I purchased are supposed to work with RAW files I thought.

I will try your suggestion when I return to my home computer. Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 6:57 AM   in reply to ANJPhotog84

I'll add this to the list I am keeping of astonishingly bad advice from Adobe Customer Support.

I highly doubt that using RAW photos are the cause of this problem. Lightroom was designed to work with RAW photos! Which is what you said!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to once free

Thank you for the assistance ... deleting (actually renaming - I'll delete at a later date) the offending previews directory and letting LR5 rebuild it has worked so far.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points