Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Nvidia or Radeon for Photoshop CS5/6 for GPU acceleration

Apr 30, 2012 6:48 PM

Hi there-

Im buying a new videocard for my photoshop PC, and Im trying to figure out if Photoshop supports GPU acceleration on both Nvida and Radeon cards. Ive heard in the past that it only supported CUDA (Nvidia). I currently use CS5, but will update to CS6 at some point.

Thanks,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2012 7:19 PM   in reply to Thronsen

Here is a thread and has a list of tested graphic cards for CS6 and the new Mecury graphics you can view at  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4289737#4289737

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,873 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 30, 2012 7:19 PM   in reply to Thronsen

Either will be fine, unless you think you might be installing Premiere Pro CS5 or later in the future, in which case, go with nVidea.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2012 7:25 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Yes, as I understand it CUDA is not used in photoshop but some functions in Premiere Pro do use CUDA.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 1, 2012 5:06 AM   in reply to Thronsen

From a pure quality perspective - and you should know I develop OpenGL graphics software myself - I find ATI/AMD's display drivers to be more consistently of good quality.  Both companies flub driver releases occasionally, as they focus primarily on computer game development, but ATI seems to deliver "golden" versions, which just work right with Adobe products, more often.  I have had to work around problems in display drivers from nVidia more often.

Also note that Photoshop and company tend to prefer single video cards, rather than dual/multiple GPU arrangements sometimes found inside certain video cards, or creatable by the user by buying multiple cards.  Many modern video cards can support multiple monitors on a single GPU.

If you do choose one or the other video card, also keep in mind you'll want to make sure you don't push your computer's power supply past its design limits.  I like the ATI x670 line (e.g., the current VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR5) because it balances power consumption against GPU performance, and doesn't emit "on the runway" fan sounds.  Don't get me wrong, these cards are plenty fast, but they don't even require a separate power connector.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points