Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Using Dreamweaver to make a wordpress site

Apr 30, 2012 9:49 PM

Tags: #wordpress

I have always worked in dreamweaver and really like the way it all comes together when I use it.  I have build all of my business sites using dreamweaver, but lately I have been playing around with wordpress for some personal projects and I have realized how much better it ranks than my static html pages.  I was wondering if there is a somewhat simple way I can use a static html page to make a theme for wordpress, or if I can somehow use dreamweaver to style wordpress? I know I can get a blog installed in a subdirectory on my dreamwaver sites, but I would like to have those blog posts show up on the homepage as new content, it really seems to be working for my other sites.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2012 10:11 PM   in reply to Ayetti957

Which version of Dreamweaver are you using?

Ayetti957 wrote:

I know I can get a blog installed in a subdirectory on my dreamwaver sites, but I would like to have those blog posts show up on the homepage as new content, it really seems to be working for my other sites.

In that case, why not make the entire site 100% Wordpress so your home page is also Wordpress?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 10:50 PM   in reply to Ayetti957

Hello again Ayetti957,

It all depends on the situation.  Sometimes a CMS (like Wordpress) is the best way to go.

I was wondering if there is a somewhat simple way I can use a static html page to make a theme for wordpress, or if I can somehow use dreamweaver to style wordpress?

For "start from a blank sheet" WP site designs, my workflow has been Photoshop/Illustrator -> static html -> WP theme.  Converting from a static html page to WP is fairly straightforward, as long as the page isn't "crazy busy" and you have an understanding of the WP theme anatomy.  You might find this link helpful in that regards.  Basicallly, you "dissect" the html page into it's major components, then piece them back together in a prescribed manner in WP.  You can certainly use DW as your code editor for this process.

I know I can get a blog installed in a subdirectory on my dreamwaver sites, but I would like to have those blog posts show up on the homepage as new content, it really seems to be working for my other sites.

There are quite a few different ways to do this, again, it all depends on the circumstances.

You can create "static" pages in WP - with this approach there is no need to "embed" WP in a subdirectory of an otherwise static site.

You can select an option in the WP admin panel to make any of your WP pages the "front page".

Or, if the circumstances require that you "embed" WP into an existing site, you might find this link helpful.

Another approach, (just thought of it so I've never tried it), is to "read" your WP RSS feed and place your "latest-X" posts on the front page of your static site.  I'll bet somebody has already implemented an easy way to do that.

~codeDawg

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 1:42 AM   in reply to Ayetti957

Ayetti957,

I only quoted the word embed because I'm not quite sure it's the right term.  I think the correct tem is "integrate".  Anyways, I just wanted to get the idea across.

You're right - G just loves new content and WP makes that easy for the non-techie to do.

That RSS idea got me to thinking so I did a G-search and came up with this little gem.

(I knew somebody must have come up with this before.)

~codeDawg

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 4:46 AM   in reply to Ayetti957

Ayetti957 wrote:

@John Walker I know I should probalby just use wordpress for everything, but my work is so awkward in WP and so much faster in DW that it seems like a huge step backwards.

Ayetti957,

You can quite easily convert your static html website to Wordpress. It means you have to convert every page to a template so if you have 100 pages it probably IS NOT the  way to go. If your static html site consists of 20, even 30 pages then  its worth the effort.

Firstly I would make a dummy site to test this on of say 5 pages before getting in a mess working with multiple pages if you don't really know waht you are doing.

What you need to do is open every page and give it a template name:

For instance open your index.html page and insert the below at the very top and then save the index.html file as homepage.php

<?php /* Template Name: Home Page */ ?>

If you have a contact page open that up and insert the below at the very top and save the file with a .php extention so if your page was originally contact_us.html save it as contact_us.php

<?php /* Template Name: Contact Us */ ?>

Next open your css file and insert a template theme name at the top, for instance Springtime (can be any name you want)

/*

Theme Name: Springtime

Author: Your Name

*/

IMPORTANT:- Your css file must be saved as style.css

Ok now you have the basis of the conversion.

Next transfer all your php files over to the Wordpress 'themes' folder. Create a folder within the 'themes' folder, give it the same name as your theme name which you declared at the top of your css file.

Next go to the Wordpress dashboard and choose 'Appearance'>'Themes' and choose your new theme.

Go back to the Wordpress dashboard and choose 'Settings'>'permalinks' and select 'Post name' from the radio button list.

Back in the Wordpress dashboard choose 'Pages'. Create a new page and call it 'Home Page'. From the right side bar under the 'Templates' drop menu choose 'Home Page'. All your template names should be listed under the 'Templates' drop menu. Create as many new pages as you have template names and associate those new pages with their template name by choosing it under the 'Template' drop menu.

Go back to the Wordpress dashboard and select 'Settings'>'Reading' and set the 'Front page displays' to 'a static page' (choose the appropriate radio button) and select 'Home page' from the 'Front page' drop menu.

Ok add some content to your Worpress pages. Open homepage.php in your 'theme' folder and select all of the content that you want to be dynamic and cut it from the page. Then in Wordpress go to 'Pages' and select 'Home Page'. Select html view in the editor and paste the content you cut from the 'homepage.php' into the editor and publish the 'Home Page' in Wordpress.

Back in homepage.php in your themes folder insert the php loop below where you cut the content from.

<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>

<?php the_content(); ?>

<?php edit_post_link( __( 'Edit this section'), '<span class="edit-link" style="clear:right;">', '</span>' ); ?>

<?php endwhile; // end of the loop. ?>

Repeat the same procedure for your other pages.

For linking from page to page what you also need to do is look at the permalink for each page of your site,. A site set up locally on your computer they will be something like:

homppage.php.............http://localhost/wordpress/

contact-us.php..........http://localhost/wordpress/contact-us

Make sure the links in your pages are correct:

<a href="http://localhost/wordpress/">Home</a>

<a href="http://localhost/wordpress/contact-us">Contact Us</a>

Obviously when you come to transfer to a remote server cchange the http://localhost/ to your domain name.

Where Wordpress fails is it makes it difficult to easily create more than one editable 'content block' per page so you need to google 'multiple content blocks in Wordpress' if you want several content areas you would like editable.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 3:21 AM   in reply to osgood_

@osgood_ 

This does look like an easy way to convert HTML pages to WP.  Excellent post!

When the option is available to convert a static site to WP, this looks like the way to go. 

I'm going to have to play with this soon.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to codeDawg

codeDawg wrote:

@osgood_ 

This does look like an easy way to convert HTML pages to WP.  Excellent post!

When the option is available to convert a static site to WP, this looks like the way to go. 

I'm going to have to play with this soon.

Hi codeDawg...have a go with a few pages....it might suit your purposes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to codeDawg

I just found http://themematcher.com that does this automatically.

It's free so worth a shot to see how it turns out on your site. I might make a new post about this because a lot of people seem to be asking...

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to GerryLordine

@GerryLordine,

3 posts so far and all about the same thing.

Are you spamming us?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 5:22 PM   in reply to Ayetti957

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but How do I start a new thread?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 5:26 PM   in reply to Lanark

AbobeIsSlow wrote:

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but How do I start a new thread?

Go to http://forums.adobe.com/community/dreamweaver/dreamweaver_general?view =discussions

Under the Actions heading in the RHS column, click Start A Discussion

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 5:18 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

>3 posts so far and all about the same thing.

>Are you spamming us?

McAfee reports the site as having suspicious behaviour and recommends NOT visiting.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points