Skip navigation
nate99016
Currently Being Moderated

Bus "effects track" playing on unassigned audio tracks in AA3. Help plz!

May 2, 2012 2:37 AM

Tags: #on #playback #to #tracks #the #all #vocal #unassigned #bus

Ok my problem is simple yet unsolvable to my knowledge. The effects i put on my Bus track, for my vocal track "using the send output, for example "Vox Bus" is also playing on all other non assigned vocal tracks causing pure havoc. A new bus doesn't fix the problem, it adds to it.

Here's a step by step example of my problem from start to end.

Step 1. Record a Vocal, Track 1

Step 2. I Create a Bus Track and add delays, reverb and other stereo effects to Vocal, Track 1.

Step 3. I select the previous Recorded Vocal Track 1 and select the Bus i just created using "Send 1 or S1".

Step 4. I record a new Vocal, Track 2.

Step 5. Now before going any further, when playing this Vocal Track 2, i hear the Bus i made for Vocal, Track 1 on it. I did not assign a bus to this track and it's somehow still registerring as if i did during playback.

Here's some maybe helpful information about how all the tracks and stuff are interlaced for playback:

-They all link to the "Master Track" for playback.

-"Master Track" then links to my m-audio sound card.

-I have tried assigning the bus track and vocal track directly to the M-Audio Card instead of the "Master Track" and still hear the bus playback on all my tracks when there not even assigned to that bus.

For all i know, the whole bus track system is setup for one giant same effect bus track for all tracks and thats just not my cup of tea and is not how true mixing is suppose to be but, can be if you want to do so :-). Maybe Adobe made a big opps when they made AA3.

Conclusion: I simply cannot proceed any further without getting this figured out so i can return to mixing my projects. Bus tracks and lots of Sends is a must have for me, so please help me my friends. If there's a secret button somewhere i need to unselect or select then let me know or anything for that matter, this is just to big of a problem to be an actual problem so i know this can be fixed. Atleast i hope so....

-Nate

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    May 2, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to nate99016

nate99016 wrote:

Step 1. Record a Vocal, Track 1

Step 2. I Create a Bus Track and add delays, reverb and other stereo effects to Vocal, Track 1.

Step 3. I select the previous Recorded Vocal Track 1 and select the Bus i just created using "Send 1 or S1".

Step 4. I record a new Vocal, Track 2.

Step 5. Now before going any further, when playing this Vocal Track 2, i hear the Bus i made for Vocal, Track 1 on it. I did not assign a bus to this track and it's somehow still registerring as if i did during playback.

So where, between steps 4 and 5 did you mute track 1? If you don't mute it, then it's going to turn up in the playback.

The mixer works fine - if it did what you suggest, then people would have been moaning about it forever, and they simply haven't been.

The other thing is that I'm not quite clear as to why you need to keep assigning busses all over the place - this seems to be a slightly strange approach to recording, I must say. When you say 'new vocal' is this a separate track, or another take on the same track? If it's the former, and these are all separate tracks, then any non-muted track with anything on it connected to a bus, with the bus fader up, is going to turn up in the mixer output - just like it would on any other mixer!

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2012 3:18 AM   in reply to nate99016

It may depend on whether you have set your Send to the Bus Pre or Post Fader., the blue square to the top right of the Send panel. Pre fade shows the arrow before the fader icon, Post the arrow is after the fader icon. Mute doesn't mute the Send to Bus if Pre fader.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to nate99016

How have you got the Track Send to Bus set? Pre or Post fader?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    May 4, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to nate99016

nate99016 wrote:

Doesn't work, i can mute the bus and that stops it from playing on every track but is beside the point because i wanna use different bus's for certain vocal tracks. I simply can't because every buss i make with effects on it plays on all vocla tracks when really it's only suppose to play on the assigned tracks. I mean wtf, it's so annoying! Anybody else help plz?

If you wantclkark different effects for different tracks, try putting them in the individual tracks themselves. Other than that, as ryclark says, it sounds as though you are sending them pre-fader when they should be sent post-fade.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 9:12 PM   in reply to nate99016

This is clearly user error.

Do you already have efx automated that you don't want to change on the vocal track?  and you want to apply other efx sparingly at different points in the vocal track(s)?

If NOT why would you not just apply the efx on the vocal track rather then creating a bus?

I'm using busses right now on a project in a way similar to what I describe in my first sentence, and it's working just as advertised, only problem is it's hard to keep all the settings straight and all the buss tracks (WITH THEIR SPLINE ALLEYS) IN VIEW!! Have to keep scrolling and then put the bus track who's splines you want to adjust next to the vocal track then adjust the "effects on/off" splines according to which part of the vocal you want the effect on/off.

See, after recording rough automation I need to make fine adjustments to effects on various bus tracks with playback stopped, and many times you can't see the vocal track to match "efx on/off" to the right part of the vocal, so if the bus track is a couple tracks above or below you have to drag it then keep track of which bus tracks have which effect.

I have tried putting more then two efx (which go on and off) on one track, and make them go on/off by adjusting the "wet/dry" levels of the various effects, but have run into problems: like it still seems to effect the sound when completely dry or if alot of effects are on the same track the effect at the bottom of the list on the efx window doesn't sound the same as if the same effect is at the top of the list.

But like I said, as far as the bus tracks, they defintely work how they're supposed to: you assign a track to "bus a" or "bus b" and that's where it goes, and if you mute these busses they do not play in the mix.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points