Skip navigation
starcade design
Currently Being Moderated

incopy/indesign version compatibility question

May 2, 2012 9:04 AM

Hi all,

I feel like this should be something easy to find in Adobe's information, but I couldn't find it.  Maybe I'm just slow.

OK, we are a small (free) weekly newspaper.  The person who puts the paper together uses InDesign CS5.  We do not currently have InCopy.  We would like to get InCopy for one of our editors, to work with in the documents made by the person with InDesign CS5. 

My question of course being...since we can apparently only buy InCopy CS6 now (maybe 5.5 if we really hurry) will it be able to work with the older version of InDesign, or would our InDesign need to be updated to CS6 as well?

Being a small free paper, we cannot afford to do that...thus my question.  While I understand I could have called an Adobe rep, I don't have time to deal with a sales person at this point, just trying to gather information for my boss.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to starcade design

Hurry and buy CS5.5 now. You can work that with one exception. Remote packaging won’t work.

Dropbox is very good alternative to that. But again. HURRY! Come Monday CS5.5 won’t be available and nothing will work.

You should be eligible for a free upgrade to CS6 as well.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 11:56 PM   in reply to starcade design

Very good question and I have searched Adobe product pages for hours to get an answer. My case being, I need an InCopy version that works with InDesign CS4. I downloaded a trial of InCopy CS5.5 and that worked with InDesign CS4. But this is very basic and important information that should be published by Adobe somewhere.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 5:18 AM   in reply to Natee1994

You have an unusual defintion of "works." You can't use remote workflows and the text engines are too different to give you an accurate look at the content.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Of course I could not test all use cases and features, but InCopy very acurately rendered a rather complex book (Thai New Testament) with complex features such as world-ready composer, GREP styling, hundreds of foot notes and verse numbers etc. I could edit the text and apply any character / paragraph styles and couldn't find an advertised feature that didn't work. I think someone might find this information useful and I think Adobe should officially publish to what extent different InCopy and InDesign versions work together so that users can weigh their options.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to Natee1994

They’re not going to publish something they won’t support.

Since you’ve done the research why not write something up yourself. I’m sure others would find it useful.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points