Skip navigation
MikeSmithPhotography
Currently Being Moderated

My images look different on Flickr and Facebook compared to Lightroom

May 2, 2012 11:06 AM

Tags: #and #lightroom #images #different #look #jpg #contrast #exported #saturated #increased #too #exports #looking #3.6 #saturation #.jpg #vibrancy #contrasty

This is a recent problem that cropped up that I don't know how to fix. My .JPG exports look more vibrant and contrasty when viewed on Flickr and Facebook. I didn't have this issue until I calibrated my monitor. I recently purchased a new monitor (Dell Ultrasharp U2711) and went with the factory calibration for awhile. Using the factory calibration my test prints were acceptable for color but the prints came back a little too dark so I decided to calibrate the monitor with an Xrite i1. I haven't submitted test prints with the new calibration on the monitor yet but I have exported and uploaded some .JPG's to Flickr and Facebook and they look way more vibrant and modestly more contrasty than they do in Lightroom. It's annoying me. I want others to see my images the way I intend them to.

When exporting the images I have always selected sRGB as the color space. I tried selecting the monitor profile as the color space for  the .JPG's but it didn't make a difference. The exported .JPG images looked the same on Flickr and Facebook. I also tried using a color space called sRGB IEC61966-2.1 but it did not correct the boost in saturation and contrast that I am seeing now either.

Can anyone help me and explain what is going on? I want my exported .JPG's displayed on Flickr and Facebook to look the same as they do in Lightroom. I had no problems with this when I first got the new monitor and was using the factory calibration. It's only become a problem since calibrating the monitor with the i1. I don't think I can go back to using the factory calibration but even if I could, eventually I am going to have to calibrate my monitor.

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it very much. I can't figure this out.

I am using Lightroom 3.6 btw. I don't use PS.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to MikeSmithPhotography

Which Internet browser do you use when looking at Flickr and Facebook?

Microsoft Internet Explorer is not colour-managed, so you cannot control what anybody will see using this browser. Going for sRGB is the best bet you can make, but it still will remain a bet.

MikeSmithPhotography wrote:

I want others to see my images the way I intend them to.

In order to achieve this you would have to calibrate the monitors of your viewers and tell them which Internet browser to use...

If you look with other browsers, e.g. Mozilla Firefox, do you perceive the same colour boost vs. your LR results?

Firefox is colour-managed, i.e. it will pick your monitor calibration profile.

I don't know for many other browsers, but you could check and recommend such a browser for viewing your images.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to MikeSmithPhotography

On Windows use the secret "--enable-monitor-profile" command-line switch to

enable (half-assed) color management in Chrome.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 12:40 AM   in reply to MikeSmithPhotography

MikeSmithPhotography wrote:

By and large, I don't think many people are using Firefox and asking or demanding them to install and use it to view your images correctly is unrealistic and heavy handed.

Last time I checked, Firefox and Chrome were running neck-and-neck in the 'most used browser' list.

Is there a way to export your images so they will display correctly (i.e. proper exposure and contrast, excellent skin tones, and vibrant colors without being overdone) for everyone (the vast majority) not running color managed browsers?

Nope. You have no control over how 'everyone' sees your pictures if they are viewing them on a computer. Not only is the colour-management of the viewing application an issue, the screen calibration (or not) is another major factor. All you can realistically do is make sure YOU are using a carefully calibrated and colour-managed environment.....but once your images leave that environment you have no control over how they appear.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points