Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS5 not deleting .idlk files when it didn't crash! I can't open files until I delete them!

May 2, 2012 12:45 PM

Tags: #error #indesign #.idlk

I am running InDesign SC5 v 7.0.4 on a Mac running OSx v10.6.8.

For some reason my InDesign has stopped deleting the .idlk files for most projects even if the software didn't crash. Oddly enough, our CS4 version on a different computer (different serial #) has started doing it as well. I'm starting to think someone invented a virus to drive graphic designers crazy! ;-)

I usually can't go to my "recent files" menu and open a file because I will inevitably get the locked message. We don't use InCopy here, so it's not some kind of a conflict there, and my coworker is a Quark guy and doesn't use my files over the network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 9:23 PM   in reply to jensapp

sorry for replying late...

You wrote "my coworker is a Quark guy and dooesn't use my files over the network" , this means your file are on the network and this would be the same place your IDLK file would be.

Hence could be permission issue which could be modified by network admin not sure right now, but to test you can move one of the file on the desktop and then check , does the idlk file gets deleted when indesign is closed properly or not.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to jensapp

I'm having the same problem. I'm not networked though so don't know if it's necessarily a network problem. After a few days I do a Find and select all the idlk files and manually delete them.

CS5 7.0.4, Snow 10.6.8

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 11:04 PM   in reply to jensapp

@jensapp--as I have said it may not the issue with your computer or application but could be because of the changes made at the back end by your network admin on the permissions, hence its worth checking with him/her .

@GeofferyH--Its not mandate to be the netwrok problem , as I said it is more of the permissions problem , check the location where these IDLK file are , try changing the location to desktop or somewhere else and then open the Indd file and check.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points