Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bug: Selection Behavior

May 2, 2012 2:28 PM

It seems in some situations the select tools will "clear" instead of deselect.  Can anyone reproduce?  Is this a "feature"?

To reproduce:

1.  Make a selection

2.  Free transform the selection

3.  Subtract from the selection

CS6x64 windows 7. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to NeedsLoomis

Are you making sure you have the "Subtract from selection" button active on your Options Bar? Alternatively, you can hold down Alt/Option to subtract.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to NeedsLoomis

Maybe the mouse is somehow throwing a second click that isn't either add or subtracting?

Like Howard says, you can hold Alt/Option down for selection subtraction, or the Shift key while selecting to add to a selection.

Holding neither modifier down can result in a new selection trying to be created thus clearing the current selection.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 4:10 PM   in reply to NeedsLoomis

I'm assuming the 40 second mark is what you're referring to. By the looks of it, you performed a single-click in the center of the selection. A quick single-click will typically perform a deselect. Make sure you're clicking/dragging in a nice smooth motion.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 6:58 PM   in reply to NeedsLoomis

Ah! I now see what you mean, and I'm able to reproduce it. Although, I don't know if this is as designed or not. After performing a transformation, subtracting using a selection method definitely deletes the drawn out area.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 3:42 AM   in reply to NeedsLoomis

I don't believe that's a bug, but the expected behaviour because your transforming the contents of your selection, not just the selection itself. (at least that's how it's worked for the last several versions of photoshop)

When your transforming the contents of a selection it turns into a floating selection (a temporary invisible layer, you can't see this on newer versions of photoshop)

Your actually transforming the pixels (cutting them from the layer if you will)

Even after you commit the transform but leave the selection it's still floating, so that's why subtracting from the selection actually deletes the pixels.

Once you deselect (defloat), then the invisible layer merges back down into the original layer.

You should use Select>Transform Selection if you just want to transform the selection itself, and not the contents inside the selection.

Or after you make the selection use Layer>New>Layer via Copy.

Set your background color in the toolbox to red and then try the same with a more rectangular shape to see this more clearly.

Photoshop 4:

Untitled-3.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points