Skip navigation
SkyStudios
Currently Being Moderated

Need help with fixing a resolution problem

May 3, 2012 7:05 AM

Tags: #resolution #matching

Hello

I was working on a file to test out PS6, the file has several layers, 30x80 at 300pi,

in addition a friend came by and tried the same thing but her file size was slightly diferent, 29,99x80,05 28,346pi, she created over 20 diferent layers and i like some of them, is there a way to make them all 30x80 at 300pi so i can use them with the file i have?

Some of her layers are solid backgrounds hile others are photo frames,

cheers

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to SkyStudios

This is all confusing to me.  Resolution is directly related to the image size in pixels.  Look at the height and width dimensions.

When you change  ppi (pixels per inch) that will determine the documents size, provided you do not resample image when changing.

So you probably should do a little research on this as it can get complex.  Your friend's number do not make any sense to me.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to SkyStudios

I don't know what pi is.  You are using it two ways in same sentence.  It is 30 x 80 p (pixels) at 300 ppi (pixels per inch)

You can change the resolution, but remember you can not add detail that is not there.

So if you change the resolution without resampling (check box at bottom of Image Size window) you will see the pixel size remains the same and the document size changes.

If you do the same thing and check resampling the image size will change and the document size will not change.  If you change resolution from 100 to 300 it does NOT mean you have 3 times as good of resolution.  It means photoshop as added pixels as a best guess logarithm.  Actual resolution may be a little worse as there is no free lunch.

As I said before it can get confusing.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points