Skip navigation
vyasna
Currently Being Moderated

Need help with printing. New to InDesign

May 3, 2012 8:31 AM

To make a long story short, I have to learn InDesign on my own for my job. And I am fine with doing simple stuff, but now I ma starting to have problems, I have no clue how to fix.

I created a file, exported it to PDF, all looks great, but when I print it the imagies are all blurry and half of my text is gone. What am I doing wrong? A friend suggested I fix the links, but I have no clue what they are or how to fix them.

Thank you for all your help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to vyasna

Let's start with some basic information. What version of ID? Have you installed the latest patch (&.5.3 was released last night for CS5.5).

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to vyasna

Try Help > Updates... in InDesign, and if the 7.5.3 patch doesn't show up, download and install it manually: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5366

Blurry images are either because the images are poor to begin with, they're linked and the links are missing or out-of-date, or you've used the wrong settings for export. Install the update, then try again, and if you still have a problem come back and tell us the PDF export settings you've used.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to vyasna

Window > Links...

Do you see any red question mark icons (missing links) or yellow triangle icons (out of date) next to a link name?

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to vyasna

If there are no links in the panel, then all of the images were pasted into the layout. That could well be the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to vyasna

The fact that you have not gotten properly trained is not the fault of the software.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to vyasna

You said you created the file, so you should know how you put in the images, and where they came from, right? Am I correct that you pasted them? Where did you get them?

If the original images were high resolution, you could go back and replace all the pasted copies with the linked originals (File > Place..), but if these are web images or other poor quality images there isn't much you can do.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to vyasna

Standard, very low cost, newbie learning advice.

1.       Sandee Cohen’s Visual Quick Start Guide: http://amzn.to/Jv2mea

2.       Lynda.com This link will get you a one week free trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Hope those help

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to vyasna

For those images that you have on the desktop, instead of Copy/Paste, us File > Place... and select the image. That will link it. You may need to drag a frame withthe loaded "Place Gun" cursor to get the size you want. Once the image is placed you can select it and from either the links panel (in the link information section down below the list) or the Info panel you can read the "Effective PPI" value. Taht will tell us if you have enough image data to use the image at the size you've chosen.

Images in Word docs are a bit harder. DocX, I believe, allows you to place the full res images along with the text, and if memory serves (Bob, are you still awake?) you can save from Word as HTML and get a folder withthe images that you can place without the text.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I’m awake.

Here’s a link to a blog post I wrote on ID Secrets: http://indesignsecrets.com/get-the-full-picture-with-docx.php

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points