Skip navigation
danbs10
Currently Being Moderated

How do I master a voice recording in Audition CS5?

May 3, 2012 8:06 AM

Tags: #adobe #recording #audition #audition_cs5.5 #voice #vocal #mastering

Hi, I want to record myself playing the guitar and singing over the top, however although I am more than capable on the guitar I can not sing for toffee. So my plan is as follows:

Using Audition CS5 I will open a new multi-track session, I will then record the guitar part (without the singing), and then will record the vocals over the top of that.

Once I have finished recording the vocals I will import the vocal file into melodyne and auto-tune it (if it's good enough for Britney spears it's good enough for me), once I have tuned my voice I will then re-inport the vocal file back into Audition CS5 ready for mastering.

This is where I need help.

What can Audition do to help me make the vocals sound as good and as proffessional as possible using different effects and so on.

If you have ever heard of  a singer called "Jose Gonzalez" then that is the sort of vocal I am trying to achieve.

Thanks very much for your time

Regards

Dan

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to danbs10

All vocals are different - without exception. So it follows that we can't tell you a single thing about this, because we haven't heard yours...

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to danbs10

danbs10 wrote:

Hi, I want to record myself playing the guitar and singing over the top, however although I am more than capable on the guitar I can not sing for toffee. So my plan is as follows:

Using Audition CS5 I will open a new multi-track session, I will then record the guitar part (without the singing), and then will record the vocals over the top of that.

Once I have finished recording the vocals I will import the vocal file into melodyne and auto-tune it (if it's good enough for Britney spears it's good enough for me), once I have tuned my voice I will then re-inport the vocal file back into Audition CS5 ready for mastering.

This is where I need help.

What can Audition do to help me make the vocals sound as good and as proffessional as possible using different effects and so on.

If you have ever heard of  a singer called "Jose Gonzalez" then that is the sort of vocal I am trying to achieve.

Thanks very much for your time

Regards

Dan

Steve's right - we have to be able to hear what you've done before we tell you what you need to do next.  A couple of things, though.  After you've melodyne'd the vocal (I don't think you have to do the export/import thing with the vocal, cuz Melodyne's a plugin, right?  Audition isn't listed as one of the DAWs you can use it with, but I wouldn't worry - Audition's NEVER listed with other DAWs, but it works just like the others most times.) you won't be mastering what you've got, you'll be MIXING what you've got.  What Audition can do with those two or three tracks you record will be along the lines of:

* noise reduction on each track

* panning

* EQ'ing

* compression, if needed

* adding space (delay/reverb) if needed

There's more, but those would be the first things you'd be looking at in most cases.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points