• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stupid question: How do I set an Illustrator document to 4:3 aspect ratio?

Explorer ,
May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this as simple as make a 4" wide X 3" tall rectangle.... and then proportionately scaling it up from there?  I know this is an ignorant question... but thanks for confirming my assumption... or providing accurate instructions.

Thanks!  Have an excellent day.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it that way and then once you have the size you want go to Object>Artborads>Covert to Artboards.

Or in the New Document dialogue simply enter the dimensiions you need it is a pretty simple equation to figure if you know one dimension.

Just in case File>New gets you the New Document dialog

Screen Shot 2012-05-04 at 12.56.22 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Option click with the Rectangle tool and make a rectangle that is 10" wide and 7.5" high. Then use Object>Artboard>Convert to Artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry Option clicking the Rectangle tool toggles throught the shape tools in the tool bar?

If you mean to get to rectangle options then all you haqve to do is click in the document winbdow while the rectangle is selected to get the rectangle options?

Or am I wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys - this works!  🙂  Wade - can you revisit my 'AI PREFS ERROR' post?  Still having issues with this too....

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wade, You're not wrong. I'm just used to the older way where to get the dialog for a tool took an Option click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I see!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I want something's dims to match a certain proportion, such as 4:3 or 16:9, I simply make it (usually a rectangle) 4in X 3in, or 16in X 9in and then simply scale to the right size.

If you did that, you could then enter artboard mode and either ALT+Click your correctly proportioned rect (to instantly generate an new artboard using it's size and location) or just drag out a new artboard over it, snapping to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines