Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash too fast

May 4, 2012 12:43 PM

Hello everyone, new guy here, im also failry new to flash. Im using Flash MX and Dreamweaver CS5. Ive been making some flash with a moving truck and through the last couple days and i add it to my site and upload it and it has been working well. Then yesterday i made some changes to the file and added it to dreamweaver and uploaded and the then the first 20 or so frames run really fast and then the thing calms down. This is being viewed in internet explorer 9 win 7. So i tried it in firefox, and it works normal, so then i tried it in internet explorer 9 on vista and it works fine. I even had someone else try it on their win 7 IE9 and it does the same thing. This all the sudden happened yesterday afternoon.

Now if i publish preview from flash it plays fine, or if i just open the file from the folder its in it plays fine.

Here is the link to my test page,

http://www.reedoil.com/flashtest.php

see the banner where the truck scrolls across the screen, the truck moves very fast, then the flash slows down to normal speed.

My FPS is 12 and that tween of the truck going left to right should cover about 1.8 seconds per the timeline in flash. THe whole flash should be about 14.3 seconds. Its like it gets revved up and flies throught th first 2-3 seconds.

The second flash file on the page the square block that rotates pictures is set to flip every 5.8 seconds and does so normally.

Thanks for the help guys.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2012 8:46 PM   in reply to xjcamaro89

Sounds to me that the problem isn't about the Flash animation. It should be something wrong with your computer instead.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 9:53 PM   in reply to nocturnal YL

Remember, Internet Explorer uses a completely different flash (activeX) plugin then every other browser. Try hitting up adobe.com in IE9 and grabbing the latest player.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to xjcamaro89

Disable Norton for a sec and try the site. Perhaps when Norton sees the activeX being instantiated it quickly scans it.

Otherwise there's a Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows. html

Should get rid of any gremlins that might be plaguing IE's flash plugin.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to xjcamaro89

I'm in Win7 Pro 64bit using IE 9.0.8112.16421 with flash 11.2.202.228, realized it was a version increment old and updated to 11.2.202.235.. It runs absolutely identical in Firefox, Chrome, IE, Safari, Opera.

I think it's just your system. BTW you might want to increase the frame rate to like 30 and make the truck animation move smoother. You'll need to add more frames to slow it back down but it looks like you're running it at 12fps and basically blinks across the screen.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to xjcamaro89

Just a quick proof, this is recorded (only at 15fps) showing the animation on my side in Chrome and IE9. I show you the versions in the video.

The delay between them is obviously me alt+tabbing to the other browser and refreshing but you get the idea.. They look identical. I think the problem is on your side.

http://www.filehorde.com/o/samespeed.mp4

That's on a 3 year old dual quad xeon with an old radeon HD 4870. Your laptop is probably faster..

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to xjcamaro89

Same speed out here on 6 different rigs in 2 locations all of varying hardware and age. I wouldn't worry about it, although it would bother me too . I'd look for any system outside your network just to verify it looks fine. I definitely see in your video what you're talking about though. Looks like flash is trying to catch up with soemthing, but I don't see why a firewall would do that.

Easiest thing to do is make a new animation of a shape animating across the screen over a few seconds and see if the issue repeats. If it does, don't worry about it. It's something on your network or local computers. If you put up a public link to that test I'll be happy to verify it works.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to xjcamaro89

I would try making the small animation like I said. Just draw a circle, convert to a movieclip, animate it over a few seconds just moving like the truck does, export and upload. It should be like a 5k SWF file, certainly not hard to load. If it plays smooth, something is intercepting the larger SWF.

And yes, it's a good indication the network is involved if locally it plays fine. Are you preloading? Even on small SWFs you should always preload and never begin animating until it's all loaded.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to xjcamaro89

It's what you'd call a stub. It's a tiny file who's sole job is to load other larger assets and provide some kind of assets so the user gets instant feedback.

Before getting into any of the progress/visuals/etc part of it just make a new AS3 document and on frame 1 of the timeline put this:

import flash.display.Loader;

import flash.net.URLRequest;

var myLoader:Loader = new Loader();

addChild(myLoader);

myLoader.load(new URLRequest("filename.swf")); // change to your SWFs filename

This won't show any progress or do anything other than not show anything until the SWF is finished loading. You put this SWF in the same folder with your other SWF (change filename.swf as needed). If it helps then you have an odd preloading issue in IE.

Now on your webpage instead of loading filename.swf you load this new SWF instead, which will in turn preload and then display your other SWF only when it's fully loaded.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to xjcamaro89

Oy.. AS2? MX? Ouch. Ummm...

It's been a while but at least you can do this without needing a separate file. You'll need 2 empty frames for this dinosaur loading technique. Again I'm going to go with the simple, no progress showing route but, on the first frame of your document try this (if I remember AS2 hehe):

on frame 1:

play();

on frame 2:

if (_framesloaded < _totalframes) { gotoAndPlay(1); }

That'll just sit there and tennis ball between frame 1 and frame 2 until all frames are loaded. Here's the as2 doc page on it with basically the same example (but shows percentage too):

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS2LCR/Flash_10.0/help.html?content=Part2_ AS2_LangRef_1.html

The simple idea is that the script will prevent the playhead from passing frame 2 until all frames have been loaded. If they're not it tells it to gotoAndPlay(1);.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 6:19 AM   in reply to xjcamaro89

Most welcome. Please mark the thread as answered so us forum junkies can filter unanswered Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to xjcamaro89

Keeping things on separate layers is perfectly fine. Preloading is an extremely common thing in Flash. I'm sure you've seen more than your share of preloaders that fill a progress bar or mention a loading percent. In your case I don't believe you need to do that because it is a very small file. Making sure it's loaded before it plays, like that script will do, will just make it perfect. I'd leave it just how it is.

In the future, definitely check out AS3. Things get much smoother and overall it's much easier to work with.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 5:37 AM   in reply to xjcamaro89

You're welcome and good luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers