Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Saving issues: "The file may be read-only" error message

May 5, 2012 9:05 AM

I do a lot of scanning to pdf and will often have to add a newly scanned page to an existing archived pdf then resave it.

I have a very consistent workflow and use two screens. The folders that contain the archived files are always on my second screen while I work on the main screen.

After I have inserted the newly scanned page into the existing pdf very often I get an error message that the file cannot be saved:

The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder.

I am the only user, none of files are read-only, and I am certain that the file I am resaving is not selected (I can see that on my second screen).

Sometimes if I just click on the second screen to another folder it'll let me resave, but other times I have to close Windows Explorer completely.

I like to avoid renaming files: it's important to that the original filename be retained.

This seems to be happening a lot more with Acrobat X Pro than it did with version 9. This is highly annoying.

Any known workarounds?

dg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to dg2727

The folders that contain the archived files are always on my second screen

If in Windows (a Mac user would have to speak to this for that environment) -

If Windows Explorer is "focused" on the file (i.e., file selected) or has "focus" on the file(s) parent folder/directory you will get the alert dialog.

Close Windows Explorer or place its focus elsewere.

Also, if the preview feature is used for files within a folder (or for files in nested sub-folder) you'll experience similar "speed humps" in the work flow path.

Was not always this way but OS updates (XP, Vista, etc.) appear to have given us some nifty new options that, coincidentally, pose some gotchas.

Be well...

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 8:12 PM   in reply to dg2727

Yeah - "sometimes" for me as well.

I've found that most times I can do a "Save" followed by a "Save As" and move on.

Be well...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to dg2727

It is Windows 7 that is causing the issue - disable the preview feature in Explorer. This feature causes Adobe to open another process using the file.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61510-preview-pane-turn-off.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points