Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to scale only the weight of strokes without the objects?

May 5, 2012 2:53 PM

I have a lot of line drawing illustrations each made with various weight strokes. Each illustration looks good by itself but when compared some look with overall thicker or thinner lines and I want to make them look the same because all will be used in the same book. To scale the weight of the strokes I make a scaled copy of each illustration and then select a line or set of lines selected using same -> stoke weight and with the eyedropper copy the style from the scaled version. This is a lot of work and I would like to know if there is a faster way to do this. Ideally I wish it was possible when using the scale tool to have the option to scale only the strokes with the same percentage.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to GSIDesign

GSIDesign,

You may, with the relevant artwork selected (Ctrl/Cmd+A to select all or whatever):

1) Tick Scale Strokes & Effects in the Transform panel,

2) Scale the artwork as much as you want the strokes scaled (Transform palette/panel or Object>Transform>Scale),

and then the reverse,

3) Untick Scale Strokes & Effects in the Transform panel,

4) Scale the artwork back to the original size.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 11:08 PM   in reply to GSIDesign

it is much simpler than the both or you are trying to do this.

1. Select all the artwork that you need to have the same weight stroke

2. In the stroke panel simply choose or type the weight of the stroke you want

all the art that was selected now have the same stroek weight and the art has remained the same size as far as te path size is concerned.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 11:13 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Before

Screen Shot 2012-05-06 at 2.12.47 AM.png

After

Screen Shot 2012-05-06 at 2.12.36 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 2:57 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Yep, but this way means doing Select Same as often as the line weights are many.

I reckon Jacob's way is better: Scale twice, with and without Scale Strokes & Effects.

At least that's the way I usually go for this kind of thing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 4:23 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Why would you have to do a Seelect Same?

All you have to do is select allthe art and change the weight of the strokes with one setting in the stroke panel!

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 4:38 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

If you have, say, 5 objects each with its own line weight, you would need to Select Same 5 times.

Otherwise you wouldn't be able to enter a value.

Using the other method you only have to do the process once.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

The OP wants the art to look alike so the strokes do not look different when placed in this particular piece the easiest way is to give it the same weight stroke.

It is possible that the OP means they want to try to make the strokes to be different but relative the the art but that is not going to work visually or technically.

Sothis is what I am suggesting and this is all they really need to do.

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/OneWeightStrokes.mov

as you can see from my screen shot and the example in the video the art looks consistent simply with the same stroke weight applied to all the art even though they art  objects are of different sizes.

very simple matter.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

As far as I can see, the OP is asking how to scale 'various weight strokes' within single drawings.

He is not asking about how to unify stroke weights.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

The workaround described in Post 1:

This is an age-old workaround for (among other things) the fact that Illustrator does not provide an option to disallow scaling of strokes contained in base art used in Brushes and Symbols. (An additional--and completely unintuitive--workaround for the problem with Symbols in CS5 and later is to apply 9-point scaling, even when you don't otherwise need it.)

JET

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 6:22 AM   in reply to JETalmage

Exactly.

I have just finished a furniture catalogue with a large number of line drawings. The originals were worked in various sizes but using fixed line weights (usually 3 weights per drawing independent of their actual size).

To get them to look right together when scaled down, all I had to do was scale them with Scale Strokes & Effects turned off.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

...all I had to do was scale them with Scale Strokes & Effects turned off.

Not quite the same thing. Using just one step in the situation you described only works because you had the forethought to use the same stroke weights on the two differently-scaled drawings. If you had used different sets of stroke weights in the two drawings, and needed to scale them to similar size, simply turning off Scale Strokes would not suffice; thus the workaround described.

Example:

You draw a camshaft using stroke weights of 1 pt. and 2 pt.

From another original, you have a rocker arm also drawn using two stroke weights, but of .75 pt and 1.5 pt. The rocker arm is also drawn to a different scale, three times that of the camshaft.

You need to combine the camshaft and rocker arm in the same drawing.

Simply scaling the rocker arm to 33.3% with Scale Strokes turned off would not serve. The rocker arm would still have stroke weights lighter than those used in the camshaft. So you:

1. Note an overall dimension of the rocker arm drawing.

2. Scale the rocker arm to 133.33% with Scale Strokes on.

3. Scale the rocker arm back to its original size by keying the noted dimension back into the H or V dimension fields, with Scale Strokes off.

4. Scale the rocker arm to 33.33% with Scale Strokes off.

Even the workaround will not truly serve if the stroke weights used in the two drawings being merged are not proportional. For example, If the camshaft had been drawing using stroke weights of 1 pt and 2 pt, but the rocker arm had been drawn using .75 pt and 2 pt.

The underlying lesson is that it's advantageous to structure drawings using Graphic Styles, just as it's similarly advantageous to always use paragraph and character styles--even when you think you don't need them.

So GSI's desire for a sensible, no-nonsense setting that allows you to scale strokes without scaling paths is quite legitimate. This could be implemented as simply as:

Change this:

to this:

...and make the checkboxes behave like checkboxes are supposed to (non-exclusive), rather than like radio buttons (mutually exclusive).

Given several drawings (ex: a set of cartoon figures drawn at different times and/or from different sources) all drawn in loosey-goosey, artsy-tartsy eyeballed fashion with no structure whatsoever in terms of defined (and therefore selectable) styles, one could at least scale the various drawings to commensurate proportion and then just the stroke weights based on percentage of their original weights, and at least make the combined drawing more convincingly consistent. A "Sameness" slider could even be provided to skew the scaling of thin versus thick weights.

Failing that (as is no doubt certain), this feature could be built with Javascript. But the result of doing so would be far more elegant if one could get the Palette object of ScriptUI to work worth a dang.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to GSIDesign

For my part you are welcome, GSIDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 2:58 AM   in reply to GSIDesign

Hi guys, I just posted a script to scale strokes based on the input above, look here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/999641

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points