Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Still no live Scopes?

May 7, 2012 6:38 AM

As one of my requested features I was hoping that vector scopes would be (or could be) live while you were playing the video in the main monitor.  

Is there STILL no way to see composite video AND vectorscopes updating at the same time in CS6?

Did I miss something here?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2012 3:43 PM   in reply to ExactImage

Sorry, scopes still do not update as you playback in CS6. Feature requests: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to ExactImage

I know how you feel, but actually, it does make a difference. As feature requests for a particular feature accumulate, they grow in importance to the Premiere Pro team.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 5:03 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

I just added my voice to the crowd.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 6:12 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Me too!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 7:27 PM   in reply to ExactImage

CS6, Win 7

Guys.

I just tested ...and both Vector scopes and YC Waveforms are updating to playback and scrub  in my system with the very latest Nvidia drivers for  my FX3800 Quadro.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 7:48 PM   in reply to shooternz

Interesting, shooternz. Let me go find out the specifics.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:04 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Keep in mind that the O.P actually said...

Is there STILL no way to see composite video AND vectorscopes updating at the same time in CS6?

So I have the composite video showing in my second monitor and the scopes showing in the Program Monitor. ie. it is possible in realtime and simultaneously

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:45 PM   in reply to shooternz

Very cool, shooternz.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:53 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Very cool, shooternz.

Others have commented similarly about me .

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 10:51 PM   in reply to shooternz

I tested myself.  No live update to the reference monitor, no matter what it shows, using a GTX 560 Ti with 296.10 driver.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 11:48 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Maybe the power of Quadro Cards.

Be interesting to hear from others.

@Jim.  Why are you using the reference monitor for this function? 

What happens if you play out to your second monitor and set your Primary Program Monitor to scopes (or any of the scopes)?

I will try the reference monitor to see what happens in my system / set up.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    970 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    May 8, 2012 12:03 AM   in reply to shooternz

Brilliant shooternz:  Quadro FX3800 and 3rd monitor through BM Intensity Pro.  Go to the top of the class.

By the way, you're really going to want to dust down your BM Intensity Pro now that it's sooooooooooooooo integrated.  Just set the card as the playback viewer in Preferences and use an Adobe codec as per usual.

Equally as cool!

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 12:52 AM   in reply to shooternz

If I set my external device to my 2nd monitor and display composite video on it and set the program monitor on my Sager X7200 laptop to all scopes, everything updates real time (Nvidia GTX580M card - 280.26 drivers).

Still using PP5.5.2 at the moment.

If I use the "Color Correction" workspace and try to display the composite video and all scopes on the same monitor the scopes do not update in real time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 12:18 AM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

@ jon - sorry if i'm misinterpreting, but i'm coming from vegas pro where i can playback my timeline using any codec on it and monitor via bm intesity pro. are you saying i have to use a 'adobe' codec in order to do that!?

btw. i have a gtx550ti and live scopes with vegas. i'm presuming i'll still have live scopes?

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    970 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    May 8, 2012 12:55 AM   in reply to leslie wand

Leslie, up to CS5.5, if you wanted to use the BM Intensity Pro for 3rd monitir preview only, you had to create a sequence using a BM codec.  That was the main gripe.

In CS6 the BM IP is now used in the background, and you set the card as the viewer - much the way AE handles it.  That means you're free to use a sequence setting of your chosing.  I'm hoping that means that we can now copy the PP CS6 project files over to a laptop that doesn't have a BM IP installed - without needing to load the BM codecs - as I currently have to do.

I haven't tested it to destruction yet - but it seems to be holding up well.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 2:40 AM   in reply to shooternz

WOW, i have live update too.

As Craig said. Scopes in the Program Monitor.

Scopes in other monitors dont work.

And i only have a GTX 285.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to shooternz

How else do you see both composite and scopes at the same time using one physical monitor?

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

@Ann I'm using GTX 285  on latest Mac Pro. What NVidia Drivers are you using and what OS version?  We are talking about CS6 I assume. Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to DMHP

I am on a PC and yes CS6 and CS5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to shooternz

I just got this info from engineering:
    If you want to view both live scopes and composite video, you'll need a second monitor connect to your graphics card or 3rd party I/O device (AJA, Matrox, BMD, BlueFish) to make this work.

Set you Program Monitor to one of the scopes via the Program Monitor panel menu

Set your Prefs >Playback to Adobe Monitor 2 (or 3rd party I/O)

I also see my Program monitor, when set to scopes, playing back scopes live.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Hi Jim, see my earlier message.

If you want to view both live scopes and composite video, you'll need a second monitor connect to your graphics card or 3rd party I/O device (AJA, Matrox, BMD, BlueFish) to make this work.

Set you Program Monitor to one of the scopes via the Program Monitor panel menu

Set your Prefs >Playback to Adobe Monitor 2 (or 3rd party I/O).

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

How else do you see both composite and scopes at the same time using one physical monitor?

I thought you used a separate calibrated monitor and a second monitor.  Anyway as posted...you need 2 monitors.  My set up that we have discussed at length previously works even better in CS6 I must add. Its absolutely brilliant!. 

Will see what the reference monitor and scopes issue when I go in this morning.

I will be reinstalling the BM Card so I can access another monitor and see how to take advantage of it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 12:15 PM   in reply to shooternz

This is a great thread. I'll make sure the specifics get into documentation.

Shooternz, I'm glad your setup is working better than ever!

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

If you want to view both live scopes and composite video, you'll need a second monitor

Well sure but...that's not the point.  The point is to make the reference monitor update live, whatever it's showing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to shooternz
    I thought you used a separate calibrated monitor

I used to, but things changed.  I've gotten pretty good at using a sort of mental LUT for my reference monitor, which is now only hooked up to the Blu-ray, so I can get pretty close without it directly hooked up to PP.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 6:41 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Just curious then...why not a second monitor?

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to shooternz

It'll be coming back into the chain (assuming the BM Intensity Pro works as I hope it will.)

Still, it shouldn't be necessary for this scenario.  We already have that 'second monitor' with the reference monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 6:56 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I thought you did not want a 3rd party solution to external monitoring! 

CS6 and 2 monitors is a real dream and with the CTRL - Tilde option...its heaven on a stick.  (Transmit)

The Reference monitor does not even compare practically as a viable monitor for anything but comparing scene to scene and I am somewhat surprised to hear you suggest you are using it for CC and Grade..

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 6:59 PM   in reply to shooternz

I thought you did not want a 3rd party solution to external monitoring! 

Ideally, it would happen correctly just using the graphics card, but...with Adobe Transmit it sounds like we get most everything in a Proper Monitoring Solution minus that, so...close enough I guess.

The Reference monitor does not even compare practically as a viable monitor for anything but comparing scene to scene

Or, if it worked correctly, seeing live scopes and live video.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 7:47 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Ahhhh...but you cant calibrate it.

And BTW  Jim...Transmit works great using the graphics card. You just need to bring yourself around to trying it.

And a tip.  The New HD Color Bars are awesome to set up the Monitors with.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to shooternz

Ahhhh...but you cant calibrate it.

You don't need to calibrate the reference monitor for showing scopes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to shooternz

Transmit works great using the graphics card.

Do you still have to extend or clone the desktop?  Or can PP now see the second monitor without Windows knowing about it?

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

You don't need to calibrate the reference monitor for showing scopes

You also mentioned "live video" in the reference monitor.  I assumed you were using it instead of  a second monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 2:08 PM   in reply to shooternz

re: Set your Prefs >Playback to Adobe Monitor 2

thank you kevin monahan - this works great (with FX4000).  getting live waveform + live video full frame on 2nd monitor, and with SD, also simultaneous component video on a monitor connected to a DV deck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 5:45 PM   in reply to Joey Kaboey

Any update on this? Premiere CC still doesn't play back reference monitor video scopes when the program monitor is displaying the timeline material.

I've tried the workaround method using the second monitor to display the program material full screen but personally don't like that workspace - perhaps from force of habit I like to see the program feed directly above the timeline and keep the second montor for secondary bins (filters, effect controls, project bins, etc).

I've submitted a feature request for CC but was just wondering if a solution was in the works? I'd rather not go down the Blackmagic Ultrascopes path if necessary from a cost and spare PCI port consideration!

Top work to the dev team on Premiere CC by the way! I'm well impressed with the release as it seems to has addressed many of the annoyances with CS6 (media relinking, sticky/jumpy keyframes, general stability issues, playback performance).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to PaulM-Aus

Hi PaulM-Aus,

Thanks so much for the feature request. I'd love to see an improvement for the scopes to playout live without a workaround, as well.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on exactly what the team is going to release in upcoming versions. I'll see what I can do to advocate for the improvement.

If you are on the Mac OS platform, here is some software scopes I really like: http://www.divergentmedia.com/scopebox

Best,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points