• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: Why can't I edit a scanned PDF?

Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2011 Dec 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you converted a paper document to PDF using the ClearScan option in Acrobat, you have one more task to do before you can edit or touch up any text in the document. During the conversion to PDF, ClearScan converted the fonts in the document to custom fonts. You must replace the custom fonts with fonts that you have on your computer.

1. Make sure that the scanned document contains live text that you can select and change. If you can't select the text, run Optical Character Recognition (OCR) on the document:
    (Acrobat X) Choose Tools > Recognize Text > In This File. For details, see Recognize text in scanned documents.
    (Acrobat 9) Choose Document > OCR Text Recognition > Recognize Text Using OCR. For details, see Recognize text in scanned documents.
  2. (Acrobat X) Use the Edit Document Text tool (formerly called the TouchUp Text tool) to select the text you want to edit. This tool is located in the Content panel on the Tools pane.
    (Acrobat 9) Use the TouchUp Text tool and select the text you want to edit. This tool is located in Tools > Advanced Editing > TouchUp Text Tool.
  3. Right-click the selected text and choose Properties. Make sure the Text tab is selected.
  4. Open the Font menu in the Text tab. Fonts above the line are the custom fonts. Fonts below the line are the fonts that you have on your computer, also called system or local fonts.
  5. Select a font below the line that closely matches the custom font.
  6. Select a font size that closely matches the custom font.

Important: The Edit Document Text tool and TouchUp Text tool work best when editing only a few characters.

Here are some related videos:

Scanning and OCR eSeminar. (0:46:25 on the timeline shows how to change the font and font size of a ClearScan font.)

Converting Scanned Documents into a PDF File

Recognizing Text in Scanned PDF Documents

How to Edit a Scanned PDF (This video is for Acrobat 9, but the steps apply to Acrobat X. Only the name and location of the tool are different.)

This document was generated from the following discussion: FAQ: Why can't I edit a scanned PDF?

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2012 May 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting I give that a try!

Thanks

Angus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't I locate a contact phone number for Tech Support for the Adobe PDF Pack I purchased on 10-28-2014?   Customer Service should be ready available to assist customers.  Jess Hawes 619-972-0635.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I subscribed to Acrobat Pro and am unable to edit the document that I scanned.  I thought this purchase would enable me to edit a pdf document.  Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2015 Mar 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded (purchased) Acrobat Pro to edit a pdf in Microsoft Word which I must edited. Please tell me how to go about this. I am signing in, but cannot edit the documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, it may help. I will have a try.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines