• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Named Content Holders

LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of inseting a content module using it's ID you can insert a content holder module using it's name:

{ module_contentholder, name="Test Holder"}

In the system folder - _system / ContentHolders you will find the .html files for your content holdes.

To make a new one and insert that into a template you can do the following steps with this method.

1. Create a file like Test Holder.html in the folder _system /  ContentHolders

You can have capitals and spaces as this will be used to generate the content holders name. This file wont be used (or seen) on your website itself

2. Upload the file via FTP

3. You can now find that Content Holder in the Admin interface

Screen shot 2012-04-07 at 01.03.24.jpg

4. To insert this Content holder into a template, webapp, page etc you can use the following:

{ module_contentholder, name="Test Holder"}

It is that easy.

You can also use this method in conjuction with the Visitor Device support.

http://www.businesscatalyst.com/_blog/BC_Blog/post/Introducing_tablet_phone_support_for_sites/

{module_contentholder, name="home_{system_visitorDeviceClass}"}

Note: This is the only tag currently that will work withing the name paramater.

TOPICS
Documentation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still trying to get this to work (I use DW). When I insert a content holder from the BC module, and is assigned a number, it works perfectly.

However, when I try: {module_contentholder,name="left-navigation-new.html"}

Nothing Shows

I see you have a space between { and module

this space is not shown here: http://kb.worldsecuresystems.com/103/bc_1034.html?bc-partner

Any thoughts on why I can insert the content (assign numbers) through the BC module but cannot manually add the code with the naming convention? I've tried about 5 times now..all failed.

Thank you in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 19, 2012 May 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NYCInsider.  Your problem seems to be that you aren't actually using the name of the contentholder.  If you created one within Dreamweaver itself rather than BC and used the .html extension, I believe if you check within BC the name of the file would be "left-navigation-new.html.html".  In other words, whatever you named it in Dreamweaver, BC would add the .html extension to it even if your name already included .html.  At least that's how it worked in DW CS5.5 some time ago.

The way I do it is to create the contentholder in the BC back end instead and don't use an extension.  So you would name it something like "Left Navigation New" or "left-navigation-new".  You can then FTP down the file to Dw.  You will notice that the .html extension will be added by Dreamweaver at that time and then you can make edits to it like a normal html file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2012 May 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also do. It need to form these types of files into lowercase no spaces as these will be the names in the admin and not look very tidy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2012 May 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to you both! I gave up on BC a while ago (due to lack of support and resources), but good to know in case I decide to try again. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a handy method, are you aware of anyway you can use this to serve content based on who is logged in?

I would like to use {module_contentholder, name="{module_fullname}"} or something similiar but it doens't seem to accept modules in modules.

edit - just saw your note about system_visitorDeviceClass being the only thing that would work. Such a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Liquid will allow you to run conditions - Due early next year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines