Troubleshooting Muse Form Widgets Used on Third-Party Servers

Version 7

When you build websites in Muse you can add Form widgets to pages to allow visitors to submit messages to a specific address via email. In previous versions of Muse, the Form widgets only worked on sites that were hosted on the Adobe Business Catalyst servers. However, this limitation has changed. You can now add Form widgets to pages that are published using third-party hosting providers.

When you upload sites to servers other than the Adobe Business Catalyst servers, there are some server requirements and best practices to consider. Keep in mind that when you publish trial sites, they are hosted on the Business Catalyst servers. Always test the content on your live site after publishing the site to other hosts to confirm that the site features continue to work as expected.

The following list answers common questions regarding Form widgets, as well as providing tips for troubleshooting issues.

What is the workflow for adding Forms widgets to sites hosted on a third-party server?

Create a new site and drag the Form widgets to the page. Follow the normal process to position the form in the site design, configure the options in the Options panel, and use the panels in Muse to style the appearance of the form within the Muse workspace. When the site is ready to go live, use the FTP Upload feature within Muse. Or use the Export HTML feature to save a copy of the entire site folder, and use a third-party FTP client to upload all of the site files to the host servers of your choosing.

Are there any server-side requirements for Muse Form widgets to work?

Yes. Your web host must support PHP, and the PHP mail service must be properly configured to send email messages. If you use the FTP Upload feature within Muse, Muse will attempt to warn you if it detects that your web host does not meet these requirements.

Are there any Form widget features that only work when a website is hosted on the Adobe Business Catalyst hosting servers?

Yes. The CAPTCHA field only works if hosting on the Adobe Business Catalyst servers. However, all the other form features work on most hosting providers that support PHP.

Do the Form widgets in Muse include logic to limit spam form submissions?

Yes. On most hosting providers, Muse forms limit the rate of form submissions from a single IP address.

When I use the FTP Upload feature to upload my site to my hosting provider, Muse displays a warning that says the Form widgets may not work. Why won't they work?

Some web hosts don't support everything Muse Form widgets need to work.

When you upload to your host using the FTP Upload feature in Muse, logic in the service attempts to determine if everything is configured properly on your host provider's servers. If not, Muse displays a warning with information about the missing requirements. You can contact your web-hosting provider and ask them to fix the configuration problem.

How can I check if my hosting provider has the required technology enabled for my website?

After uploading your Muse site containing a form, you can point your browser to your-site-address.com/scripts/form_check.php

If your website supports everything needed for Muse forms to work properly, you should see 3 green checkmarks on this page. If not, contact your hosting provider. They should be able to look at the php code for this file and determine what configuration changes need to be made on your server for Muse PHP forms to work properly.

I've uploaded my new Muse form, and tried submitting it in the browser, but I never receive an email with the form data. What's wrong?

This could be caused by a few different problems. Follow these troubleshooting steps:

1. Check your email Inbox spam folder. Mark the form messages as non-spam.

2. Some hosting providers refuse to send mail to an email address on a different site's domain. For example, if your website is www.example.com, but your form is configured to send email to someone@email.com, your web host provider may refuse to send the email generated by the Form widget.

Solutions:

1. Update your form to send email messages to someone@example.com. This change may resolve the issue and allow the messages to go through.
      2. If you're hosting is GoDaddy and you're form e-mail address is to a non-GoDaddy e-mail account, you'll need to enable "remote" mail in cPanel. (A similar change may be required on other hosting providers.)
        1. Navigate to your cPanel on GoDaddy.  This is where you manage your web hosting.
        2. On the main cPanel page, scroll down to where it says ":::Email"
        3. Click on "MX entry" which is located right below "Accounts".  This is the Mail Exchanger setting.  By Default, GoDaddy assumes you will be using a GoDaddy email account.
        4. Make sure that "Remote Mail Exchanger" is turned on.

By default GoDaddy assumes you will be hosting your e-mail through GoDaddy.  If you set up an email address for your form in Muse that is not a GoDaddy hosted email address, then GoDaddy does not accept it by default. You have to give GoDaddy permission to send a form to what GoDaddy considers a "remote" email address.

3. Some IT Departments block emails from someone@bigcompany.com to someone_else@bigcompany.com if the email message isn't sent by the standard bigcompany.com mail servers.

Try changing the form's options to add another email address (listed first), which does not end with: @bigcompany.com. This change may allow the form messages to be delivered to both email addresses.

4. Visit http://my-site.com/scripts/form_check.php in a web browser and make sure you see all green checkmarks. If some items do not display green checkmarks that means that the hosting server is not configured correctly to allow the Form widgets to send email messages to the address you've specified.

Contact your web-hosting provider about the server configuration problem. Describe the items that are not marked as green in the form check page, so that they can help you set up the servers to use the correct settings.

If you continue to encounter issues with Form widgets that are published to third-party hosting servers, post a message on the Muse Support Forums. The Muse team reads these messages and the online community can help you resolve issues with forms.