• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coordinate Spaces & Transformations in InDesign (CS4→CC)

Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a great article posted from Marc Autret. I decided to convert his post and keep it in the document area.

I appreciate his great work.

Ten

My (free) PDF, Coordinate Spaces and Transformations in InDesign, now has a 5th Chapter that covers the transform() method.

CoordinateSpacesTransfos01-05.png

As a whole, this work investigates how coordinates, locations, bounding boxes, rulers, transformation matrices and related features actually work in InDesign and can be handled from the scripting DOM. Altough the subject requires some effort and is probably not for beginners, it can unlock and solve many problems that developers encounter while dealing with positioning, sizing, and transforming geometric objects in an InDesign document. There are even tasks you just cannot perform without the space-and-transform toolbox.

To my knowledge, no equivalent or similar paper has been published on this particular topic—and Adobe's documentation is pretty confusing, if not inaccurate, regarding the way methods work or the arguments they expect (not to mention the hidden infrastructure they involve.) So it took me years to dig into this topic, test ideas and snippets, and still now I'm pretty sure I have missed important points and made mistakes here or there…

Anyway there is no thread in this forum dedicated to this resource (despite scattered mentions) so I think it would be appropriate to grant it a place in the Documents area. In any case, this topic is open to those who would like to discuss technical points, fix errors and/or suggest additions.

Permanent Link: indiscripts.com/tag/CST

Hi Marc,

thank you very much for this!
I'm thrilled.

Best,
Uwe

This document was generated from the following discussion: Coordinate Spaces & Transformations in InDesign (CS4→CC)

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?