Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dedicated Language Module

Contributor ,
Sep 14, 2016 Sep 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Language module

Today, designing websites for local audiences is not sufficient anymore. If you want to attract global visitors or if you residing in multilingual country it becomes a necessity to have a multi lingual website.

My idea would be to have a dedicated language module based on human input, divided in content and “non-content” (like error messages and other programmatic matters.)

Now, of course you have the possibility with liquid and perhaps module_data to build a multilingual website. But with a dedicated module you could create your own “repository”.

The use of the content is strictly for users/administrators, where the use of non-content is for developers/administrators only with the possibility of adding a workflow to the process and version control.

So basically you have three layers: design - application - content

Design layer:

First you set up your frame work.

• the design with all the assets
  • html
  • css
  • javascript
  • liquid
  • etc. etc.

Application layer:Setting up your

• modules
  • bc-apps
  • other

Content layer:

Next you set up your static content for the desired language

e.g. buttons, menus

After that, you set up the text for the dynamic content  in the desired language

When all done the content can be assigned to a webpage and/or module.

Kind regards,

Carla

TOPICS
Developer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carla,

Ideas in the Dev forum are only for things and issues related to the BC.Next work currently in development.

Right now it would be for the Liquid and API V3 related elements.

In terms of your suggestion - BC is not structured this way in terms of a module. BC already supports language and through Liquid markup you can achieve all the above and more. The structure you described as well is basically what it is already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Liam,

I wasn't aware of this. Unfortunately I can't find an "Ideas" forum to move the idea into.

You're right that BC supports a lot of what I've suggested but not in the sense of a module in the back end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2016 Sep 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because of how the system is structured and what you can do with it, such a module would not work though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 19, 2016 Sep 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's a pity Perhaps for a future road-map that some one finds a solution for multi-lingual matters.

In the meantime it would be nice to have a language switcher widget/bc web-app for non-coders/developers like my self.

A sort of URI "prepender". When placed on a web page and clicked on by a visitor the content is immediately loaded in an other language.

i.e: <pre><code><a href="/switchlanguage/?language=en&returnUrl=%2MyDocumetName%2" title="View page in English">MyDocumetName in English</a></code></pre>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines